Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

A melodic fiesta: Artists touring EP

Greg+Gonzalez%2C+lead+singer+of+Cigarettes+After+Sex+which+are+set+to+perform+Oct.+11+at+the+Don+Haskins+Center.+Photo+courtesy+of+Unai+Arnaz+Imaz+
Unai Arnaz Imaz
Greg Gonzalez, lead singer of Cigarettes After Sex which are set to perform Oct. 11 at the Don Haskins Center. Photo courtesy of Unai Arnaz Imaz

El Paso is no stranger to the rhythm and beat of music, and 2023 promises to be a spectacular year for music enthusiasts as a variety of artists from different genres grace the city with their presence.  

The Sun City’s music scene is incredibly diverse, offering something for every musical taste.  

Recently, the city has witnessed a surge in live performances, showcasing talent from both local artists and international sensations.  

“I’m excited to go to Kali Uchis’ concert,” said UTEP student, Idaly Mata. “I’m a big fan and I feel so happy that more artists are coming to perform in El Paso. Now I don’t have to pay for transportation and accommodation if I want to see my favorite singers.”  

El Paso has a unique cultural identity that can benefit from exposure to different forms of art and music. Artists touring the city can introduce their own styles and perspectives, contributing to a broader cultural exchange.  

By touring in cities like El Paso, artists can encourage the appreciation of arts and creativity outside major metropolitan areas. It can motivate local artists and creatives to pursue their passion and contribute to their communities.  

“It’s nice that more artists are interested in performing in El Paso,” said UTEP student, Adrian Lopez. “The concert I’m most excited about is Cigarettes After Sex. I really like their music, but I hadn’t been able to see them live on stage.”  

Touring in diverse settings challenges artists to adapt and evolve their performances based on different audience responses and expectations. It can lead to personal growth and a broader artistic perspective.   

Artists can integrate elements of the local culture into their performances, preserving and celebrating unique traditions, history and diverse stories.  

“Big artists are interested in El Paso,” Mata said. “Rebelde performed last month, and it was a big concert. Luis Miguel will come next year and I’m sure many people from outside of El Paso will come as well, which means more tourism for the city.”  

Touring in El Paso supports the local economy by generating revenue for venues, hotels, restaurants and businesses. It can provide job opportunities for locals involved in event organization, management and media. Performing in the city contributes to cultural enrichment, economic development and the overall growth of the arts while creating meaningful connections with a broader spectrum of audiences.  

Keep an eye on upcoming events to catch your favorite artists live and immerse yourself in the vibrant music culture of Sun City.  

Angelica Gutierrez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]