UTEP breaks record for highest freshman enrollment for a second time

According+to+a+UTEP+press+release%2C+more+than+3%2C800+students+enrolled%2C+which+is+a+four+percent+increase+over+last+year%E2%80%99s+fall+enrollment.++
Annabella Mireles
According to a UTEP press release, more than 3,800 students enrolled, which is a four percent increase over last year’s fall enrollment.

The start of the fall semester means many things like festivities, fun and freshmen, which according to UTEP, there are plenty of this year.  For the second year in a row, UTEP has announced the breaking of its all-time freshman record. With more first-year students enrolling at UTEP, many offices on campus are preparing new ways to start the school year and are learning how to deal with the influx of students. 

According to a UTEP press release, more than 3,800 students enrolled, which is a four percent increase over last year’s fall enrollment. Overall enrollment has shown to have grown around two percent from last year with more than 24,300 students enrolled at UTEP.  

With this rise in first-year students, how does UTEP plan to accommodate them?  

Through newly added sections in freshman core component courses to accommodate the increase, the university has done more to make room for the growth in students. 

“In 2021, UTEP developed its Strategic Enrollment Plan, which included aspirations to grow enrollment,” UTEP officials said. “The University experienced 20 years of growth prior to the pandemic and planned to continue growing. It has implemented programs and plans to increase infrastructure to support enrollment growth.” 

There are many factors that this growth can be attributed too. One factor was UTEP’s record-breaking fall enrollment was news that made headlines. The Wall Street Journal ranked UTEP as the top school in Texas for social mobility, Sept.7. Meaning that of the colleges in Texas, UTEP was found to have helped lower-income students find higher-paying jobs while minimizing attendance costs. This achievement combined with other factors increased UTEP’s fall enrollment. 

“University officials attribute these enrollment increases to a combination of factors. One long-term effort that has impacted enrollment is a close collaboration with the school districts in the region to increase the percentage of students who directly enroll in higher education,” University officials said. 

Every year, UTEP and EPCC come together to meet with key leaders in the districts to review and find ways to guide high school students into their campus, to increase enrollment rates.  

“One of the most important among those is the Paydirt Promise, which allows students from families whose adjusted gross income is $75,000 or less to be eligible to attend UTEP tuition free through a combination of grants and other gift aid,” University officials said. 

In addition to the lack of tuition increase for the next two school years, UTEP has not only put plans into motion to draw in more students, but they have done it successfully. UTEP has prepared for the current influx of students, but these new regulations and programs are here to stay for incoming students for years to come. With another semester of the highest first-year enrollment of all time, UTEP has guaranteed students that their new journey will be one to enjoy.  

Elisha Nuñez is a staff reporter that can be reached at [email protected]