UTEP soccer battles to the end in tough loss against NMSU

Forward+Jayde+Gone+kicks+the+ball+in+the+air+while+being+closely+defended+by+an+NMSU+player+on+Sept.+21.+
Joel Molina
Forward Jayde Gone kicks the ball in the air while being closely defended by an NMSU player on Sept. 21.

Editor’s note: This article recaps the match versus NMSU and was written prior to Sunday’s match up versus LA Tech. 

This past Thursday, Sept. 21, UTEP soccer fans flocked to university field to witness the matchup against New Mexico State University (NMSU).  

The match drew a crowd of over 800 fans, the most at a UTEP soccer match since the last battle against the Aggies in 2016. This soccer match is a part of the ongoing rivalry against both teams, named the “Battle of I-10”. However, the Aggies won this round with a score of (2-0) against UTEP.  

Head Coach Gibbs Keaton spoke to Miner Athletic Club, praising the team’s determination and the support from the El Paso community. 

“The fans showing up in full force, with student-athletes, friends, family, everybody that came out tonight created an immense home field environment,” Keeton said. “I think tonight we showed what we are capable of in the first half, but we also have to mend our weaknesses, and the time is now.”  

The match started off with a bang as Aggies’ Megan Ormson scored within the first three minutes. The Miners took to the Aggies offense quickly, pushing strength up field for some time. In both the fourth and twenty–third minute of the match, defender Emerson Kidd and forward Nicole Morales tried to shoot but were blocked by Aggies’ goalkeeper Valerie Guha. In the twenty-fourth minute, the Miners had a chance at a shot on goal with a corner kick but were blocked by the Aggies’ defense.  

From the thirty-second minute to the thirty-eighth minute, the Miners’ defense held down the fort against three corner kicks from the Aggies. Before the end of the first half, Miners’ midfielder Olivia Roskos went for a shot at goal but went a little over the bar. The half ended with a missed shot that went too wide from the Aggies’ Lauren Machuca. The second half turned up the heat, as there were a total of six yellow cards, as well a few scrapes and tumbles from both teams. 

There were two attempted shots by Aggies’ Gia Valenti in the fifty-ninth and sixtieth minute, but neither made it in. Miners’ goalkeeper Tionna Taylor contained the first and the second going too wide. In the seventy-sixth minute, Aggies Tati Jerman scored the winning goal for the team. One more shot was attempted from Aggies’ Shila Rasoul but was blocked by the UTEP defense to round out the match. 

Business marketing student Diego Rochin speaks to the excitement of the match. 

“The game was great,” Rochin said. “It was kind of sad that we lost, but I’m out here showing school spirit, and that’s what we need: more people showing up out here.”

H. Catching Marginot is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected]