UTEP Soccer struggles in intense game against Idaho

Midfielder+Sheyliene+attempts+to+run+down+the+ball+during+a+match+Sept.+14.++
Midfielder Sheyliene attempts to run down the ball during a match Sept. 14.

This past Thursday, Sept. 14, UTEP women’s soccer fought hard against the University of Idaho Vandals, losing 1-0. 

Although the match was played throughout the night, the packed crowd and the UTEP Cheer Team helped the game shine brightly. The match was tense, with the only goal being scored in the 78th minute by Vandal’s Kylie Hummel. However, the Miners outshot the Vandals (13-10) and had three shots on goal.   

At the start of the match, the Miners took off as shots were made by midfielder Olivia Roskos and forward Nicole Morales, but neither could hit the back of the net. In the following 10 minutes of the match, the Miners successfully defended a corner from the Vandals.  

This was the Vandals only shot in the first half of the match. In the 21st minute, after the corner kick, forward Taya Lopez hit a low to the left corner, but Vandal’s goalkeeper Kira Witte was able to contain it. In the 24th minute, midfielder Anissa Chairez had prospects of a shot but was blocked by Vandal’s defense. The Vandals soon became offsides 12 minutes before the end of the match.  

The Miners and Vandals came out blazing at the start of the match’s second half. In the first 15 minutes, there were eight shots. Chairez had another try-on shot in the 46th minute, and midfielder Sheyliene Patolo tried a shot in the 48th minute. In the 50th minute, the Miners’ defense was tested, Patolo tried to control a corner kick and a shot for the goal from Vandals’ Maya Hamilton. The intensity continued with Roskos and Patolo shooting wide to the right side. Soon, in the 61st and 64th minute, Vandals’ Jadyn Hanks missed two shots wide.  

In the 66th minute, forward Mina Rodriguez led a corner kick but was too high. In the 69th minute, forward and midfielder Leslie Gutierrez almost connected a bicycle kick. Soon, midfielder and defender Vanessa Cabello completely stopped the ball attack that followed from Hummel. Miners’ goalkeeper Tionna Taylor continued a goal attempt from Vandals’ Annika Farley in the 77th minute, though the Vandals scored in the 78th minute. Taylor stopped Hamilton’s attempt at a shot, but Hummel steered the ball back to the opposite corner of the goal.  

There were two more plays at goal from the Miners, but Vandals’ defense stopped them, and Taylor saved a shot from ideal in the 87th minute.  

Biochemistry student Enrique Torres speaks to the excitement of the match.  

“It was a pretty good game; I think they are very fast,” Torres said. “This is the first time I’ve seen the girls play, and they play very good. The goal of the other team was only luck.” 

Biomedical Sciences student Diego Lopez comments on the outcome of the match. 

“I felt like it was a good game, and there were a lot of chances,” Lopez said. “I felt like there were a couple of referee errors; it could have gone better.”  

The Miners now face I-10 rival New Mexico State at 7 p.m. this Thursday at University Field. 

H. Catching Marginot is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected]