Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

UTEP football faces disappointing loss on the road

Arizona+Wildcats+beat+UTEP+31-10+in+Arizona+Sep.+16.+Photo+courtesy+of+UTEP+Athletics+
Arizona Wildcats beat UTEP 31-10 in Arizona Sep. 16. Photo courtesy of UTEP Athletics

With football season underway, UTEP took another heavy hit Saturday, this time to the Arizona Wildcats. The 31-10 final score was another example of the struggles that UTEP has taken on early in the season. 

The game at Arizona marked UTEP’s second consecutive Power Five opponent, and its second away game, making this a tough couple weeks for the Miners. These games have not been easy on UTEP, especially considering the Miners are coming off their loss against Northwestern. 

Arizona started the game off strong in the first half, although no points were scored in the first quarter. The Miners put the first points on the scoreboard when UTEP quarterback senior Gavin Hardison finished 15 of 31 for 228 yards, while backup quarterback junior Kevin Hurley went three of four for 55 yards and a score. 

Safety junior Kobe Hylton forced a fumble in the Wildcats’ second possession. Although the ball was recovered at the UTEP 48-yard line by linebacker senior Tyrice Knight, UTEP was forced to punt, giving Arizona the opportunity for a 92-yard, seven-play scoring drive. 

UTEP’s next possession of the ball yielded no points, but Arizona was not taking it easy. A 10-play, 74-yard drive resulted in another seven points for the Wildcats. 

The second half showed little to no improvement for the Miners, as Arizona scored 17 points total compared to UTEP’s seven in the last quarter. Arizona dominated the third quarter, scoring ten points, compared to UTEP’s zero. 

Almost nine minutes into the third quarter, Arizona scored three points after a 38-yard field by Wildcat kicker junior Tyler Loop. Wide receiver Jacob Cowing, formerly a Miner, ended the game for UTEP with a two-yard reception, leaving two minutes in the third quarter. 

The Wildcats were able to remove three minutes off the clock in the fourth quarter, after taking a 24-3 lead over UTEP with an 82-yard, six-play scoring drive. The Miners were able to put seven on the board in the last quarter, but it was too late. 

UTEP will be returning to the Sun Bowl at 7 p.m. this Saturday to face off against the Mountain West program University of Nevada Las Vegas. 

Nicholas Maes is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]