UTEP football suffers heavy loss to Northwestern

Northwestern+beat+UTEP+38-7+during+the+football+game+at+Ryan+Field+Sept.+9.+Photo+courtesy+UTEP+Athletics.+++
Northwestern beat UTEP 38-7 during the football game at Ryan Field Sept. 9. Photo courtesy UTEP Athletics.

UTEP football (1-2) took a heavy hit early in the season, losing 38-7 against Northwestern University Sept. 9. The Miners’ season is already looking bleak, having two losses in its three-game season. However, all hope isn’t lost as it is just the beginning of the season.  

The first half looked bright for the Miners, as the team was tied 7-7 with Northwestern. Things fell apart when Northwestern came back with a 13-play, 79-yard drive. The Miners then left Northwestern tight end Thomas Gordon wide open during the scoring play, allowing him to walk into the end zone on an 18-yard reception.  

The game fell apart for the Miners following this play, as the Miners would not score at all throughout the second half.   

Head Coach Dana Dimel acknowledged the struggle with Northwestern and how this play set the tone for the second half of the game.  

“(Northwestern) came out with a really good drive at the start of the second half – a nice physical drive and finished it the way we needed to,” Dimel said. 

UTEP will prepare for another away game at the University of Arizona, taking place Sept. 16.