UTEP soccer finds its footing versus the University of Incarnate Word Cardinals

Gianluca Cuevas
Lady miners all go to hug Mina Rodriguez after her goal.

Both the sun and the smiles of UTEP soccer fans shined brighter than ever this past Sunday as the Miners claimed a victory against The University of Incarnate Word (3-1) (UIW).  

The match ended with a 1-0 score and was a special moment for the team as it had lost its previous game against California Baptist in 6-0. This was also the team’s first win under Head Coach Gibbs Keeton. 

Keeton spoke to the Miner Athletic Club applauding the hard work and dedication the Miners displayed during the game. 

“Today is obviously a special day for our UTEP soccer program, but it is really a testament to the mental fortitude of our team,” Keeton said. “More impressive than the win is their fortitude to bounce back from Thursday and be together on a hot, hard Sunday.” 

Throughout the match, specifically in the first half, both teams pushed offensively back and forth. In the fourth and eighth –minutes senior goalkeeper Tionna Taylor smothered shots from UIW midfielders Sinead Duffy and Abigail Wilson.  

About two minutes later, Miners’ senior midfielder/defender Vanessa Cabello went for a shot from the outside but went wide for a goalkeeper kick by UIW. Soon, by the twentieth minute, Miners’ defense pushed hard, then by the thirty-eight-minute junior midfielder Sheyliene Patolo was almost clear for a shot, but UIW’s defense blocks the shot. In the forty-fourth minute, there was a foul by UIW, then a free kick ending the first half of the match with five shots from both teams.   

Sophomore forward Mina Rodriguiez and junior defender Ally Stickney tried for shots around the seventieth minute but were controlled or missed. During a slurry of chaos, at the seventy-second minute, Rodriguiez scores a goal for the Miners. Freshman midfielder Olivia Roskos provided the assist to Rodriguiez’s goal. After scoring, the rest of the half went toward the containment of the ball away from UIW. There were three more attempted shots by UIW, but they were smothered by Taylor. The crowd was ecstatic, and energy was high because at the end of the match, the Miners had won. 

Business student Stephen Pitchkolan speaks to the exhilaration of the match.

“These games are going to continue to get wins, these girls are working,” Pitchkolan said. “It was honestly beautiful watching everyone celebrate like that.”

All statistics and quotes provided by UTEP Athletics.  

H. Catching Marginot is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]