What’s making Miner headlines

Kali+Uchis+will+perform+her+latest+album+%E2%80%9CRed+Moon+in+Venus%E2%80%9D+at+the+Don+Haskins+Oct.+3.+Photo+courtesy+of+Wikipedia+Commons+
Kali Uchis will perform her latest album “Red Moon in Venus” at the Don Haskins Oct. 3. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

The fall semester is a time for Miners, new and old, to prepare themselves for another back-to-school season. While some are dreading Blackboard notifications, others are happy to go back to class, some students are also thrilled about all the events that come with the new fall semester. 

From Kali Uchis performing at the Don Haskins Center to Minerpalooza returning with Battle of the Bands, there is plenty for Miners to be excited about.  

‘Miner Welcome’ lasts for the next two weeks and there are plenty of events for all students to get involved in. ‘Miner Welcome’ includes socials, involvement fairs, and other campus get-togethers like Texas Western Gold Rush. 

Taking place across all of campus, these events give students the chance to meet and socialize with fellow miners.  

Another upcoming event that has been around for almost 30 years is Minerpalooza, which will make its annual appearance this fall semester, Sept. 15.  

With Battle of the Bands competitions, vendors, games and more, this celebration is sure to bring in Miners to kick-off the fall semester.  

Taking a different direction from events hosted by UTEP, exciting musical acts are making their way to El Paso.   

The Sun City will see the return of Kali Uchis as part of her tour for her latest album, “Red Moon in Venus,” Oct. 3.   

“I’m excited for Kali Uchis to come to El Paso, her music is so soulful and passionate,” said Marie Apodaca, a local bank teller and fan of Kali Uchis. “I consider her one of the most incredibly talented and of course beautiful women in today’s music.”  

Joining Kali Uchis in their Sun City endeavors is a band who got their start in El Paso, Cigarettes After Sex.   

Formed in 2008 by Greg Gonzalez, the band’s popularity skyrocketed after nearly a decade of their existence. They are set to return to the city, performing at the Don Haskins Center, Oct. 11.   

“I’m really excited to go, their singers’ hometown is (from) El Paso and they haven’t visited for years, so it’s exciting they’re coming,” said Sarah Lujan, a UTEP alumni and fan of Cigarettes After Sex. “Their music has ties to years of memories for me, but overall I enjoy how mellow and relaxing the music is.”  

“No one sounds like them in music culture at the moment and I’m glad they’re getting the recognition they deserve on social media,” Lujan said.

This year’s fall semester appears to be stacked with events, from on-campus celebrations to concerts by renowned artists.  A new semester is on its way, and Miners can look forward to fun and fabulous events to celebrate the new semester. Tickets for all musical events can be found on Ticketmaster or through UTEP’s Ticketing Center. Any information for on campus events can be found on Minetracker.  

Elisha Nunez is a staff reporter and can be reached at [email protected]