New app expands mental health care for UTEP students

Timelycare+is+a+digital+companion+to+the+Counseling+Center+for+students+going+through+mental+health+problems+or+those+interested+in+trying+therapy.++Photo+courtesy+of+TimelyCare+
Timelycare is a digital companion to the Counseling Center for students going through mental health problems or those interested in trying therapy. Photo courtesy of TimelyCare

If you are a new or returning student to the University of Texas at El Paso this fall, you know your schedule will be busy. Some students take as many as up to six classes while others hop right into their car to head off to work right after their last class.  

Many might not have the free time to help themselves with personal problems during this time in their lives. However, in this ever-changing digitized world, universities have taken this into account and want to create an array of options for students in need.  

Studying criminal justice, UTEP student Diego Arvizu discusses the importance of having the option to seek services if needed during college. 

“For me, I think it’s important because some students are stressing or passing difficult times with homework or other activities,” Arvizu said. “So, I think it’s important to have mental health care in the university to try and have a little bit more help easily.”  

Universities within the UT system have created a new online program available to students at UTEP. Timelycare is a digital companion to the Counseling Center, that will help enhance the unique features the counseling center already offers.  

Director of CAPS (Counseling and Psychological Services) and a staff psychologist at UTEP, Brain J. Sneed, speaks about the benefits of Timelycare.  

“It’s kind of like a health and wellness program designed to supplement what the Counseling Center is doing,” Sneed said. “There are several great features, and we were excited about the ‘Talk Now’ feature.”  

One of these great features allows students to speak with a mental professional 24/7 on any device. This option is geared in a different direction than the after-hour crisis line provided by CAPS. In this case, whether by phone, text or video, a student can speak to someone about specific topics like exam stress or if someone needs to vent about the recent end of a relationship.  

“Another feature is, sometimes students aren’t comfortable talking with someone, so they have a lot of online content,” Sneed said. “If they are feeling stressed, having a hard time focusing, feeling down, or anything like that, there is a whole library of videos and things like that.”  

Sneed emphasizes this program benefits those with odd hours and someone who may want to dip their toes in the therapy world.  

A postdoctoral fellow at the Counseling Center, Dr. Jasmin Gonzales speaks about the advantages Timleycare will bring to students who may need it. 

“My initial impressions are really positive, and I think it’s going to be a great support for us,” Gonzales said. “Students are going to have access around the clock to services if they need support at three in the morning or on the weekends.”  

Gonzales speaks about having access to mental health coaches, will help students with essential management and support.  

“One of the other great things about timely care is the access to coaching,” Gonzales said. “A lot of the students come into the counseling center for basic support with stress and time management, sometimes eating and sleeping concerns, and coaching is unlimited on timelycare.”  

For those UTEP students going through mental health problems or those interested in trying out the world of therapy, Timelycare could be the option. So, for more information, visit the campus CAPS office or timelycare.com/utep. 

H. Catching Marginot is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]