My journey into the world of multimedia

Capturing life in El Paso has always been a quest for me to achieve. The borderland is rich in Hispanic culture through family, friends, music and events. Throughout the UTEP campus, the culture continues through every student continuing their education. Creating a platform for everyone to enjoy is what I want for my career as a multimedia journalist.

Growing up, I have always had an interest in movies and writing. I have always been the creative type of student and struggled in many of my classes that involved a formula or equation. I started my multimedia journey when I was a sophomore in high school by creating short films. Once I held the camera, I knew videography, editing and writing was a path I wanted to follow for my future career. 

As I entered my first year at UTEP, I was a declared nursing major. I thought that if I got a job in the sciences, I could support my family and have the life of my dreams. After the first two semesters, I knew I couldn’t see myself as a nurse. I always had the feeling I needed to pursue something creative. The summer before my sophomore year, I changed my decision and chose to major in multimedia journalism. 

During winter break in 2022, I applied to The Prospector where I received a staff reporter position for the spring semester. On the first day, I felt anxious because I didn’t have much experience in AP-style writing or the ins and outs of journalism. After meeting all my coworkers and staff, I was instantly reassured that everything was going to be okay. Through this position, I learned everything that I could. My love for writing and interviewing grew and I became the person I yearned to be. 

At the end of spring semester, I took a chance and applied for the multimedia editor position. To my surprise I received the position and finally got the creative outlet I’ve always wanted. I was scared and had so many ideas but limited experience in how to execute them. Throughout the summer, I created videos and continued the podcast. Even though I was so scared of sharing my ideas and work, I realized that I was doing well. 

I am so excited to continue this position during the fall. I want to represent the borderland through videos and podcasts that I create. This platform is not just for me, but for the students at UTEP and El Pasoans to share their opinions, stories and voices. 

I am extremely excited about the fall semester and the events that will be held on campus and across El Paso. It is an honor to work with great journalists and receive experience as an editor and multimedia creator. Learning is my number one priority as I go towards my career after graduation, but I will work hard to showcase the great students, organizations at UTEP and the people of El Paso. 

Avery Escamilla-Wendell is the multimedia editor and may be reached at [email protected] or Instagram @by_avery_escamilla