El Paso Chihuahuas set new hit record during series loss to Albuquerque Isotopes

Gianluca Cuevas
Street filled with bright lights from southwest university park.

The El Paso Chihuahuas have been a hit throughout the summer, particularly during the month of August. Although temperatures are still in the triple digits, that’s not stopping El Pasoans from supporting their minor league home team.   

When it comes to standings, the Chihuahuas are sitting pretty with only three less wins than losses (21-24). The Chihuahuas fought hard in the team’s most recent run against the Albuquerque Isotopes, although El Paso took an overall loss in the series.  

The Isotopes put an end to a four-game win streak that the Chihuahuas carried over from the previous series versus the Sugar Land Space Cowboys. The Chihuahuas came into the series against Albuquerque with two straight series wins, but the Isotopes stopped the short-lived streak Aug. 15.  

Neither team scored during the first five innings, but the Isotopes ultimately prevailed over the Chihuahuas in its first game, but Aug. 16 was a different story. Along with defeating the Isotopes, the Chihuahuas set a new hit record.  

Scoring multiple runs in the first six innings, the Chihuahuas had 24 hits, winning the game 20-7. This could be considered the best game of the season, as the Chihuahuas hit four home runs in the second inning, a season-high for home runs in a single inning.   

The Chihuahuas would face defeat in the next game, but achieved another win Aug. 18, splitting even with the Isotopes in the first four games of the series. Neither team would score in the last five innings of the game.  

The Isotopes took the series from the Chihuahuas, winning four out of six games, but the Chihuahuas are still looking hopeful. 

The Chihuahuas will close out August and start September in Reno, Nevada facing the Aces. The next games taking place at Southwest University Park will be against the Round Rock Express, Sept. 5, through Sept. 10. 

UTEP Night at the Chihuahuas was the first major event taking place, as part of this year’s “Miner Welcome.” A great way to bring students and alumni together, the game is was an exciting precursor to upcoming UTEP events taking place throughout the first week of school, including Late Night at the Rec and Texas Western Gold Rush.   

Students looking for an enjoyable way to spend their last Friday of the summer could attend UTEP Night at the Chihuahuas. UTEP President Heather Wilson threw the first pitch, and the game featured appearances by the UTEP Cheer and Dance teams. Orange-themed foods were available, along with opportunities to support UTEP student scholarships. 

The Chihuahuas will stay home to face the Albuquerque Isotopes again, Sept. 12, through Sept. 17. The Chihuahuas will close out their regular season in Sugar Land facing the Space Cowboys, with their final game taking place Sept. 24. 

Nicholas Maes is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]