Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

The most anticipated reunion of the year: ‘Y Soy Rebelde’

RBD+Preforms+in+El+Paso+Aug.+25%2C+for+the+first+time+in+15+years+
Gianluca Cuevas
RBD Preforms in El Paso Aug. 25, for the first time in 15 years

Taking us on a trip down memory lane in one of the most anticipated concerts of the year, the Mexican pop group Rebelde (RBD), opened their “Soy Rebelde” reunion world tour, Aug. 25 at UTEP’s Sun Bowl stadium. After 15 years of separation, the group came out and gave a spectacular performance of their greatest hits from the early 2000s.    

RBD was a telenovela about a group of students going through high school and finding their place in life through music, love and friendship. After airing in Mexico in late 2004, their debut album was released later along with their growing stardom.   

Originally formed by Anahi, Christian Chavez, Alfonso Herrera, Dulce Maria, Maite Perroni and Christopher Von Uckerman, the group created a platform that lasted for about five years, but then came to an end in 2009.  In December of 2022, it was announced the group was returning together one more time for a world tour. Well, almost all of the group would be returning.  Unfortunately, fans were faced with the news that Alfonso Herrera would not be returning.

In an interview with El Espectador, it was revealed this was due to other projects he was working on, but nonetheless, he believed the group would carry on a very successful tour.   

It was a night to remember as the stadium was filled with concert goers dressed from head to toe in red blazers, white shirts and red ties. There were many who wore stars on their foreheads in reference to Anahi’s iconic character in the telenovela, Mia Colucci.  

The energy was high and fun, while waiting in line to get into the stadium as groups of people were already singing their lungs out to with songs being played on the speakers. Everyone was excited and the connection shared between RBD and their fans was visible.   

Jenny Lozano, a fan since 2004, waited hours outside Sun Bowl stadium just to see the group perform.   

“I’m totally excited to be here, I have been so stressed yet so excited and so nervous about going in and seeing them sing the songs I grew up on,” Lozano said.   

It was clear fans had waited a long time for this, Leticia Castro, a fan since she was 8 years old, shared the excitement of being able to experience this now as an adult.   

“I think I’m excited because I get a chance to relive my childhood, which is mainly why we’re all here,” Castro said.   

Opening the concert with the iconic song “Tras De Mi,” the stadium could be heard almost a mile away. It was energetic and after every song, concertgoers could not wait to hear which was next. The crowd kept getting louder and louder.  

With songs like “Salvame,” “Que Fue Del Amor” and “Este Corazon,” the emotions were high, and it seemed impossible to not shed a tear or two.   

They finished their first show with their iconic song “Soy Rebelde” a song that fans have kept alive even after being released 19 years ago.   

The concert was more than just a reunion, it was an opportunity for families and friends to reconnect with one another over something as beautiful as one’s childhood.   

Sisters Elizabeth Holguin, Jennifer Ramirez and Anahi Saucedo all took the evening to relive their childhood memories with one another.   

“We have been fans since the beginning,” Holguin said.    

“Since the novela,” Ramirez added.   

The sisters had previously attended their concerts in the early 2000s.   

“My older sister, Jennifer, used to take us to all the concerts, including this one, which makes us feel very nostalgic,” Holguin said.   

“But I’m glad we’re experiencing this together one last time,” Ramirez said.   

The energy was high even after the concert ended, which reflected the impact this pop group had on an entire generation even after being gone for almost 15 years. Regardless of how much time passes RBD will always remain an icon to Mexico, El Paso and novelas as whole.   

Ruth Urquiza is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]