Taking the big leap: A guide to the perfect first fall semester

Turning the page from summer to fall, the freshness of back-to-school season is one of the many things UTEP students look forward to. 

As a new semester arrives, so do the endless amounts of freshmen, searching for an opportunity to outshine their first semester. Giving older generations a chance to show them the endless experiences college has to offer.  

“When I first came in, I definitely felt anxious and overwhelmed,” mechanical engineering major Pedro Ferreira Da Silva said. “But for once I felt like I was working towards a goal and started learning about things I enjoyed.” 

Ferreira Da Silva mentioned how the transition from high school to college can be considered overwhelming at first due to the speed of college life. He said this introduction became the moment where he shed his old self and had space to grow. 

“College changes everybody, when you’re fresh out of high school, you have no idea what is coming toward you and how fast it can be,” Ferreira Da Silva said. “Within a couple of weeks, you just have to learn to adapt, but once you get the hang of it all, you understand what makes it a once in lifetime experience.” 

Considered the most anticipated semester, students look forward to the annual events and teach the new generation how to obtain their miner pride.  

“Every fall I look forward to football season and have fun tailgating with my friends,” nursing major Natalie Moreno said. “Fall semester is the perfect opportunity to get involved by meeting people and expose yourself to new things.” 

From sports, music and film, UTEP offers many opportunities for students to get involved by having endless amounts of extracurriculars to become a part of. Moreno mentioned how college became her chance to reinvent herself, as she began to participate more in school events and joined different clubs. 

“I honestly thought that this was my chance to start fresh,” Moreno said. “Never in a million years would I have thought about being this involved in high school, I mean I was in a few clubs back then, but the difference is that it feels more meaningful.” 

As classes close in, so does the need for resources. Whether it is supplies such as binders, planners, to books, UTEP bookstore manager Xochitl Meyer mentions they have every type of resource. 

I think it’s important to that we offer a little bit of everything for everyone,” Meyer said. “As we get into rush, it’s all about textbooks and what you need for this coming fall semester. 

Meyer mentioned the biggest question she often gets from newer students is regarding digital items. Mentioning how the bookstore has expanded their selection to give them a chance to get any books they need for the upcoming semester.  

Offering more than school items, Meyer expressed how the bookstore can also become a place for goodies such as snacks, merch, and electronics to help students feel they have a place to go for essentials.  

“I think it can be a nice escapism from your day-to-day,” Meyer said. “Getting in a snack, feeling hydrated, just being a good respite in between classes or on your way home.”  

Taking a chance to explore every place college has to offer is what makes this experience worthwhile. Turning the corner on a new semester can be both exciting and scary, but it is important to remember it is all about taking it one step at a time. 

Yoali Rodriguez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]