UTEP football luncheon kicks up season hype

Attendee+poses+with+Paydirt+Pete+at+the+annual+football+luncheon%2C+July+26.++
Attendee poses with Paydirt Pete at the annual football luncheon, July 26.

The UTEP football community came together July 26, for its annual football luncheon to showcase the program to the public and introduce the new retro alternate uniforms. 

Former UTEP quarterback Pat Hegarty headlined the event, along with performances from the UTEP band and cheer squad.   

Not only was this event to showcase the team, but auctions also took place to go to the academics of athletes as well.  

Director of Athletics, Jim Senter, acknowledged the hard work the team has been putting in over the summer and the work they will continue to put in as their pre-season camp starts July 27. 

“We need each of you to do your part, you can make a difference. Despite what anybody might say, when you come to a game, and go to the Sun Bowl Stadium it makes a difference on our competitiveness. We have the home-field advantage, so we need you.” Senter said. 

Taking over a winless program, UTEP football head coach, Dana Dimel, has slowly built the program up over his past five seasons. 

“One of the things I’m super proud of about the Sun Bowl is the history and the nostalgia that’s there in that facility. It’s crazy, but we’re taking advantage of that,”Dimel said. “The UTEP Miners are 11-3 in the Sun Bowl over the last three seasons, that’s the second-best home record in the history of this school, and we need to keep that going, we need to defend that at the highest level.”  

It has been 35 years since Hegarty led the Miners to their most successful season in program history in 1988. 

“The great thing about athletics is that you look around the room and there’s guys from every walk of life, different ethnicities, religions, backgrounds. We can come together as a team and overcome those differences to build something cohesive, and something that can leave a legacy.” Hegarty said.  

The throwback uniforms that the players will wear are special because they represent the Miner football uniforms worn in 1988. The uniforms were all orange, and the helmet had stars on it.  

UTEP football unveiled the new alternative Adidas uniforms, an homage to the uniforms worn by Hegarty’s 1988 team. Fans can expect to see the retro orange jerseys and the 1980s-style Paydirt Pete on leggings and gloves. The Miners will be seen wearing these jerseys throughout the season.  

Although the first game for the Miners will be taking place at Jackson State, their first home game will be Sep. 2 against Jacksonville State.  

Nicholas Maes is the sports editor and may be reached at [email protected]