Dr. Catie McCorry-Andalis named New VP of Student Affairs

Vice President of Student Affairs Dr. Catie McCorry-Andalis describes how UTEP launched plenty of opportunities for first generation students. Photo courtesy by UTEP

A lot of great leaders have come through UTEP and changed the university for the better. But none quite like Dr. Catie McCorry-Andalis. 

McCorry-Andalis is a UTEP alumnus and gained her doctoral degree in Education Leadership and Administration from UTEP. She has been an integral part of the university’s success during her 18 years of service to the university. She has served as associate vice president and dean of students since 2011 and will begin her new position as vice president of student affairs Aug. 1, 2023. She will be replacing the current vice president of student affairs, Gary Edens, who was the vice president for 12 years. He will be stepping down July 31, 2023.  

“I feel great, it’s exciting,” said McCorry- Andalis on being appointed the new vice president of student affairs. “I love UTEP, I want to stay here for as long as I possibly can. I accepted this position because I think we have the best students and the best institution with admission that aligns very closely with my values, and the best staff and faculty.” 

The main purpose of the VP of student affairs is to be an advocate for students, elevate the student voice, and ensure that students are provided the resources they need. All which McCorry-Andalis has been doing for students at UTEP for years.  

Through her time at UTEP, McCorry- Andalis has accomplished many projects. These projects include establishing the UTEP food pantry, emergency fund and the Office of Student Fellowships and Awards. All of these projects help improve the college experience for UTEP students. McCorry-Andalis says that she is most proud of the enhancement of student life and the expansion of student engagement at UTEP in recent years.  

McCorry- Andalis has a long list of projects ready to initiate when she takes her position as VP of student affairs. She wants to expand leadership development opportunities for students, enhance on-campus housing, and expand study abroad opportunities. Her main goal is to enhance student life and engagement on campus and to create more traditions.  

“Student engagement is important to the college experience for so many reasons because it promotes a sense of belonging to their institution,” said McCorry- Andalis. “If a student doesn’t have a sense of belonging to their institution, then it is going to affect everything else that is within their realm which includes academically, professionally, socially, and emotionally. So that sense of belonging is key.” 

Alyson Rodriguez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]; @alyson_rod1127 on Twitter.