Miners welcome new softball coach

Photo courtesy by UTEP Athletics
UTEP Softball made a new addition to its coaching staff, Brittney Matta. Current Head Coach T.J. Hubbard made the announcement that he and Matta will be working together, with Matta holding the title of Softball Associate Head Coach.  

On June 27, UTEP Softball made a new addition to its coaching staff, Brittney Matta. Current Head Coach T.J. Hubbard made the announcement that he and Matta will be working together, with Matta holding the title of Softball Associate Head Coach.  

Matta, a Northern California native, has been involved with softball since high school. She started at Arizona State in 2006 and was the only walk-on to make the softball team that year. She attended the NCAA National Championships twice, as a team member in 2008 and as an undergrad assistant coach in 2011. 

Matta’s success goes beyond her college career. She coached at Highland High School in Gilbert, Arizona in 2014, taking the team to the Arizona Interscholastic Association playoffs in her first year.  

Moving on to college softball, Matta was the assistant coach at Mesa Community College from 2017 to 2019. Under the guidance of head coach Grady Moorhead, she contributed towards advancing MCC to the NJCAA Division II Regional Finals. 

For the past three years, and through the COVID-19 pandemic, Matta served as the head coach at South Mountain Community College, consecutively bringing successful softball seasons for the Cougars. In her final year at SMCC, the team played 64 games and only suffered ten losses.  

“I’m thrilled to welcome Brittney to our staff as Associate Head Coach,” T.J. Hubbard said in the announcement.  

Brittney’s head coaching record, attitude, and enthusiasm stood out throughout the interview process. Bringing in a wealth of collegiate experience as a student-athlete, assistant coach, and head coach.  Her ability to recruit and develop players will help UTEP Softball reach new heights.  She will be tasked with leading our pitchers, catchers and serving as our recruiting coordinator.  

Nicholas Maes is the sports editor and may be reached at [email protected]