ICYMI: Selena and Juan Gabriel at Cool Canyon Nights

Local+artists+who+performed+included+Sangre+Gitana+and+Fungi+Mungle.++
Yoali Rodriguez
Local artists who performed included Sangre Gitana and Fungi Mungle.

Uniting the love for our culture, El Pasoans gathered to support the annual summer Cool Canyon Nights. Receiving a full house June 22, the free concert at McKelligan Canyon celebrated the timeless music of ‘El Divo de Juarez,’ Juan Gabriel and ‘The Queen of Tex-Mex,’ Selena Quintanilla.

“We grew up with Selena and Juan Gabriel,” said attendee Richard Rodriguez, as he admired his young granddaughter who was dressed in a purple satin two-piece resembling, one of the iconic outfits of the late Selena. “I don’t think there’s gonna be any artists that are as good as them anymore so we have to appreciate them while we can.”  

The crowd cheered eagerly raising their voices through every song that played. While dancing and belting every lyric, the audience became one, creating an atmosphere that defined the timelessness of these artists that have shaped the Mexican culture in our borderland. Making it clear for all of them the music played defined a lifetime of memories.  

Often stigmatized as a city with limited events, those who turned Cool Canyon Nights into a tradition have described it as part of El Paso’s hidden gems. Nadia Guerrero and her niece Talia Colon brought their family as they had relatives coming from Germany and Va. showing off the uniqueness of the city. 

We really look to see like what are those hidden gems that are uniquely El Paso, and McKelligon Canyon is definitely uniquely El Paso,” Guerrero said.  

Describing the way these community events highlight the aspect of local support, many businesses came out to offer food, jewelry and accessories that honored ‘El Divo’ and ‘The Queen.’  

“When opportunities are brought to the city, we should take advantage and we should explore them,” Guerrero said. “I think that that’s important for us to keep the culture going here, we have to show and support.” 

Proving to be a significant event in the city, the free Cool Canyon Nights concerts will be available through July 27 featuring various local artists such as Sangre Gitana and Fungi Mungle.  

For further information consult the KISS.FM website or follow their Instagram @93.1kisselpaso. 

Yoali Rodriguez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]