Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

PRIDE Laughs!: Laughing for a Great Cause 

Host+Ivy+Maga%C3%B1a+%28left%29+and+Aubrey+Garica+%28right%29+before+the+comedy+show.++
Annabella Mireles
Host Ivy Magaña (left) and Aubrey Garica (right) before the comedy show.

In celebration of Pride month, ABC Comedy, an international production organization, hosted a comedy benefit show with all proceeds going to the Borderland Rainbow Center, a local organization dedicated to providing resources to LQBTQIA+ people and its allies. PRIDE Laughs was a onenightonly comedy show featuring international and regional comedians and performers like Sha Rita, Guthria, host Ivy Magaña, and headliner Jade Esteban. 

The warm and welcoming environment of the local bar “Craft and Social” allowed the attendees to be able to express themselves in a safe space. The audience was filled with members of the LGBTQIA+ community who showed up to support the cause.  

“This is one of the shows where most of the audience is part of the community,” said Esteban, who has been touring around the country for over a year. 

Allies like performer Sha Rita also showed up to support the cause.   

“I’m still trying to learn and understand,” Rita said in one of her jokes.  

Her presence and the presence of other allies demonstrated the strong ally ship that exists between non-members and members of the LGBTQIA+ community here in El Paso.  

Members of the audience enjoyed the jokes and appreciated the safe space that was created.  

“It feels amazing, you know? I can feel free and just be myself around everyone,” said Abbie Garcia, one of the many attendees that forms part of the LGBTQIA+ community. 

“They’re so vibrant and full of life and their talent just shines through.” 

Patron Desiry Flores shared their feelings about the comedy show as well.  

“At the comedy show I felt such joy seeing everyone be themselves and yet feel so safe,” Flores said. “I felt so much love. There was absolutely no hate at that comedy show, and it was a pleasure to watch these comedians do what they love.”

From parody song performances to jokes about cliche things LGBTQIA+ members do, the crowd was loud and alive. Host Magaña, 31, took to the stage and kept the crowd laughing all night. They lit up the room the moment they stepped on stage, making relatable jokes about their gender identity and sexual orientation, it was clear Magaña had a special connection with the audience. 

“There’s something about the El Paso audience that’s extra supportive, extra engaging, like always ready to have a good time,” Magaña said.   

ABC Comedy took it upon itself to organize and plan the entire event for the Borderland Rainbow Center, only asking the group to show up and give their support. The Borderland Rainbow Center provides resources to improve physical and mental health, economic stability, and education alongside spiritual and cultural enrichment. Its mission is to create a safe space for LGBTQIA+ members where they can grow and heal while empowering others. Its services range from individual and group therapy to food pantry services. If you are interested in its services or becoming involved with the organization, you can find more information at borderlandrainbow.org and on Instagram @boderlandrainbowcenter. 

It is important to show support to these organizations now more than ever. The ally ship between LGBTQIA+ members and non-LGBTQIA+ members should be stronger, as we continue to see legislation being passed that harms this community. Allies must take a stance and continue to show their support even after pride month ends. 

Ruth Urquiza is a contributor for The Prospector and can be reached by email at [email protected]