One last match: Lucha libre at the borderland

Despite it being an old sport, lucha libre still remains a significant sport and form of entertainment for the borderland area. Renowned wrestlers from Mexico have gained popularity throughout the American continent, and their stunts have reached the media, through books, movies, and tv shows. Whether it be a way of documenting their lives or creating fictional worlds, such as the case of El Santo and Blue Demon, these wrestlers have been given the space to share their talents and journey. In this journey, the audience is able to understand where the passion for lucha libre comes from.  

Fortunately for wrestlers in El Paso and Ciudad Juárez, the essence and sense of community in the lucha libre world is overwhelming, giving them the courage and support to go out of the area and share their stories. The young wrestler, Persephone, formerly known as Black Widow, is now living in Mexico City, and despite her success in the sport, she still recalls her origins and the love her community gives her, allowing her to continue pursuing her dreams.  

Maria L. Guerrero Duran is a guest contributor and may be reached at [email protected]; @bymariaguerrero on Instagram