Resources to start your academic career at UTEP

Students+walk+to+their+first+class+by+Centennial+Park+to+prepare+for+the+school+day.++
Jasmin Campoya
Students walk to their first class by Centennial Park to prepare for the school day.

Taking the first step at UTEP can be a daunting moment. The crowds of students, different buildings and events at the plaza can be very overwhelming. However, the help of faculty and staff can make the first day the best day of the school year.
New Student Orientation (NSO) occurs every semester before students start. High school graduates get to attend and see their future for the next few years.
Assistant Dean of Students for Engagement, Charlin Jones-Chavez, is one of the many faculty members at UTEP who provides freshman with information to have a successful first week.
“They get to experience not only their academic resources, so that being, they’ll get to meet with their advisor and understand their collegiate experience in the classroom for their major, but they’ll also be introduced to their colleges,” Jones-Chavez said.
At NSO, students also meet organizations, sororities and clubs UTEP students established. Information on counseling services, health services and tutoring services are also provided to students wanting to seek those resources.
The Spirit Operations Department created by NSO helps students navigate the first three days of school.
The street team provides resources students need such as dining service and parking service information, and a campus map.
“They’re set up in some high-traffic locations around 8 o’clock in the morning, through about 1 o’clock in the afternoon,” Jones-Chavez said. “It’s really just a chance for them to provide additional information on getting around and welcome (students) to campus and then making sure that they know there’s a number of events and activities happening.”
Within the first two weeks of the fall semester, UTEP hosts Miner Welcome, which consists of events such as the Texas Western Gold Rush on the first day, events at Centennial Plaza during the day and Miner Palooza.
Jones-Chavez said these events help students feel connected to their university as a “true Miner.” Many events are also hosted during the spring semester to bring students back to connect and get involved in the fall and the spring.
The NSO office is in the Mike Loya Academic Services Building and students can walk in with any questions they may have. Students may also check in with other student affairs such as the Dean of Students office and the Student Engagement and Leadership Center.
The most common resource Jones-Chavez suggests students use is MineTracker.
“Not only do our student organizations have information in there but so do our departments,” Jones-Chavez said. “We now have over 80 departments that have a page in MineTracker where they’re posting events, more information about their offices, applications for different opportunities as well.”
MineTracker is the most reliable resource for students to stay connected and involved on campus.
The first day, week and month at UTEP may sound scary, but the resources UTEP provides will take the pressure away.
As a freshman, it is important to rely on the resources at NSO and first-week events so that the transition is smoother.
For more information, the office of New Student Orientation may be reached at [email protected] and (915) 747-6752.
Avery Escamilla-Wendell is the staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected] or on Instagram @by_avery_escamilla