Dance team ends season at the top

+The+UTEP+Dance+team+placed+first+at+the+National+Dance+Alliance+%28NDA%29+D1-A+Spirit+Rally+National+Championship+Friday%2C+April+7%2C+in+Daytona+Beach%2C+Florida.%0A
Jasmin Campoya
The UTEP Dance team placed first at the National Dance Alliance (NDA) D1-A Spirit Rally National Championship Friday, April 7, in Daytona Beach, Florida.

The NDA has been in place since 1976 and has facilitated competitions from elementary cheer groups to collegiate championships. The group also contributes to charities like the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and Generation Spirit, formerly The Sparkle Effect.

The team, who performs across various campus and athletic events, headed to Daytona, Florida. The team competed in the competition’s semifinals round Wednesday, April 5 and were allowed to continue the following day for the finals round.  

Both performances clocked in at two minutes and twenty-six seconds. The performances can be viewed on Varsity TV through a premium subscription. 

UTEP celebrated the dance champions April 13 at Cenntenial Plaza. The team was joined by Cheer Coach Leslie Lopez and the UTEP Marching Miners.

The Prospector may be reached at [email protected].