Oregon hosts men’s golf for 2023 ‘Duck Invitational’ in Eugene, Oregon

The UTEP Men’s Golf Team competed in the third spring event at the Duck Invitational, There Jacob Presutti finished with 28 pars after playing through 16 holes in the second round. Photo courtesy of Hawai’i Athletics.

The UTEP Men’s Golf Team competed in the third spring event at the Duck Invitational, March 27 and 28, in Eugene, Oregon. The starting line-up for the two-day event included junior Max Schliesing, redshirt junior Greg Holmes, redshirt senior Marcus Khaw, junior Jacob Presutti and freshman Ryan Lewis. This is the third event for the team, with the fourth coming up in early April set to happen in Wyoming. UTEP tied fifth with the Colorado University Buffalos overall.   

Monday saw Schliesing atop the leaderboard, recording a 70 after the first 18 holes, played through 15 in the second round then sitting at 3-under 57. Soon after a lead in the field from Presutti with 28 pars after playing through 16 holes in the second round; Boise State’s Max Charles and Colorado’s Justin Biwer making a 69. Colorado’s Tucker Clark, Colorado State’s and Schliesing shooting a 70 to tie for third after the first round. Monday overall had UTEP tying for tenth place with Pacific at 27-over par, moving up three spots after playing through 15-16 holes.   

Tuesday, the team had an impressive end to the event, achieving its second top five of the season. With Presutti and Schliesing finishing in the top five on the final day of the event. The match started slow, however after the first two rounds, UTEP had the best finish of the spring season. The team to start, shot 33-over par 885 tying fifth with Colorado.  

Then tying 14 after the play of the first round, soon following tying 10. In the end, No. 28 Oregon won the tournament at 2-under par 850, Oregon State finished second at 5-over par 857, No. 23 Colorado State finishing third at 17-over par 869 and the Ducks being the one team to finish under par. The tournament had Schliesing’s second top three finish and fourth top 10 finish of the season. Presutti finished at 3-under par 211, tying a career low for the player; though it was the Miner’s second top 10 finish of the season and fifth of Presutti’s career. Lewis then swooped in, rounding out the score for the Miners. The course surrendered 162 pars and 29 birdies for the team. 

Statistics by UTEP Athletics. 

H. Catching Marginot is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]