Pick N’ Shovel: Why they are the hidden gem on campus

If you ever have been a college student or currently attending college, there is usually a dilemma looming before the start of the day, “What am I going to eat today?”   

This question may be hard for many students, as there can be many hidden factors involved. For example, if you are on a strict budget, have diet constrictions or maybe no time before heading out.   

This is where Pick N’ Shovel comes to the rescue. Pick N’ Shovel is an on-campus buffet style restaurant located on the second floor of the Union Building. Here are a few reasons why this spot is a must-go on the whole university campus.   

For starters, your whole experience will cost just eleven dollars or under. This is significant because of this new world we live in; you will usually spend more money on smaller portions.   

For example, a favorite on campus, Chick-fil-A, is more expensive than at first glance. A typical Chicken Sandwich meal will cost around eight or nine dollars and it is just for the portion the meal comes with, while at the Pick N’ Shovel there are dozens of options for just a bit more. Although it is debatable, which option of the two wins in flavor, some students just need a quick energy boost.  

The next reason is simple and is where Pick N’ Shovel truly shines, the power of convenience and variety. Some students have a busy schedule when it comes to their lives on campus and some have goals of eating healthier.  

Eduardo Hiram Ceballos Faour is a full-time sophomore majoring in computer science at UTEP and discusses his opinion of Pick N’ Shovel as a busy student.  

“I consider Pick N’ Shovel to be one of the best alternatives to eat on a day,” Faour said. “Its price is very affordable and offers a varied menu day by day. One of my biggest problems was my poor diet and the amount of money I was spending on food.”  

The restaurant not only offers popular foods like personalized pizza or buttermilk pancakes, but it provides vegan/vegetarian options like a full salad bar with many vegetables, or low-calorie soups. If you are a student who falls in this category, it is quite easy to fit this choice in your schedule.   

“However, at Pick N’ Shovel, they have different dishes every day and offer food that really nourishes my body and most of all keeps me healthy.” Faour said.  

Faour mentions how the variety of meals provided at Pick N’ Shovel help him throughout the day, due to the nurturing meals that satisfy him for the whole day.  

“Their schedule allows you to have a very good meal that makes you perform very well for the rest of the day,” he said. “Overall, I am fascinated with this alternative.”  

Now this leads me to my last reason, it is also just a calm place to work or catch up with acquaintances and the other fun choices they provide. Sometimes many other locations are packed or structured in a way that is hard to hang in but, if you just want to enjoy some comfort food, they have that as well.  

So, whether you are looking for a new place to eat that has healthy dietary options, a work friendly environment or just a spot to chill with your squad the Pick N’ Shovel has you covered. 

H. Catching Marginot is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]