Omicron Delta Epsilon revamps after pandemic

Omicron+Delta+Epsilon+%28ODE%29+Honors+Society+at+UTEP+is+starting+back+up+after+the+COVID-19+pandemic.+Photo+courtesy+of+Omicron+Delta+Epsilon++
Omicron Delta Epsilon (ODE) Honors Society at UTEP is starting back up after the COVID-19 pandemic. Photo courtesy of Omicron Delta Epsilon

Omicron Delta Epsilon (ODE) Honors Society at UTEP is starting back up after the COVID-19 pandemic. ODE Honors Society is for economic majors and minors. The honors society assists UTEP students in progressing their future careers in economics and offers presentations and connections to the economic world.  

ODE started up in 2019 but disbanded abruptly due to the pandemic. Even though the pandemic had a great impact on their organization, they overcame and revamped the honor society in the fall of 2022.  ODE is continuing its mission to provide students who are interested in a career in economics many opportunities. 

ODE President, Brianna Perez, is a graduate student in the MSE Economics program at UTEP, who invites students to join ODE for the chance to take part in economic opportunities.  

“We have a connection with the American Economist Journal,” Perez said. “So, we are allowed to submit submissions that offer research awards.” 

The research award publishes student’s work in the American Economist Journal. Perez mentions the research award provides awareness of the student’s career opportunities. 

Perez said students can join ODE by speaking to their professors and through the ODE website. While there are different channels for students to join, Perez also speaks in economics classes to pitch the ODE Honors Society to students who are interested in furthering their knowledge in economics. Students must maintain a 3.0 GPA and have completed at least 12 credit hours in economics courses. Once students join, the ODE Advisors check to see if the students meet the requirements and then move on to initiation. 

In March, ODE members will be offered a tour of the Federal Reserve Bank in El Paso, Texas. This opportunity will allow students to network with Vice President Roberto Coronado, and the recruitment team to find students future internships and careers at the Federal Reserve Bank. Even more networking opportunities stem from being a part of ODE, including the possible opportunity to work with the Federal Reserve Bank in Dallas, Texas.  

Some changes that are being made include how ODE leads their meetings.  

“We’re having our professors come in and present their research,” Perez said. “We’re kind of moving towards learning research that our professors do.”  

The presentations provide information to expose the students to research and understanding how to be credible in their work field.  

“There is a new center for free enterprise,” Perez said. “They are doing outreach to encourage students to choose that major.”  

The group is working with Dr. Kochanowski and ODE Vice President Karla Hernandez. 

The honors society has a few upcoming events planned to include a Q&A panel for students interested in networking with the College of Business.  

Feb. 3, ODE collaborated with different College of Business Administration (COBA) organizations to host a bowling event at Bowl El Paso where students were able to network with members by also having an enjoyable time. 

Though the group has maintained a sparse number of students after the pandemic, they hope to double the size throughout this semester. Students who are initiated into the honors society will have a lifetime membership. ODE is bringing in professors to also be inducted to bring more attention to the world of economics. 

ODE will be hosting a meeting every week at 3 p.m. on Tuesdays at the College of Business Administration Building, room 329. Students who are interested in being a part of Omicron Delta Epsilon may fill out the new member form on the Omicron Delta Epsilon UTEP page and on Instagram at @ode_utep.  

Avery Escamilla-Wendell is the staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]