‘Introducing me’

Introducing+me%E2%80%99

Multimedia can be used and seen in everyday life, whether it is in the form of podcasts or videos. Listening to your favorite podcast or watching your favorite video can always lift your mood. Whether you are looking for a motivational podcast or a vlog from your favorite vlogger there is a topic for everyone to choose from.  

Going into my last semester here at UTEP I was excited when I found out that I was going to be the new multimedia editor, but nervous at the same time because this is something so far out of my comfort zone. 

As a multimedia journalism major with a minor in theatre, I was not sure where to look or how to gain journalistic experience, then I found The Prospector. I began as a contributor and moved up to staff reporter, which was when I realized I liked writing. The Prospector allowed me to get my foot in the door of writing about my favorite thing, sports. My love for sports was inspired by my brother. Every Sunday, Monday and Thursday we would lie down on the floor of our parents’ room watching his favorite team back then, the Arizona Cardinals on his phone. I would ask him all these questions like what a first down is and what are the plays and it just sparked from there.  

Despite my love of sports, I never thought of pursuing a career in commentating or writing about sports. I wanted to be a nurse or a teacher until my mom gave me the idea to pursue sideline reporting because she knew how much I loved football. It was difficult trying to figure out what school would help me pursue this dream, I went from UTSA to Oklahoma until I finally returned home, and it is probably the best decision I ever made. I have been blessed with so many amazing opportunities here, especially The Prospector.  

I have always been a really shy person, so if you knew me in high school or middle school you would think it is crazy to hear me say I am going to pursue a career that involves me talking on live television, let alone hear me say that I am taking over the “Prospy” podcast. The Prospector has helped me grow and get out of my comfort zone even more.   

The “Prospy” podcast was iconic last year thanks to our now editor-in-chief Itzel Giron and my plan to keep the podcast as amazing as she did. I am going to keep all the things and topics that you all love, along with a few new segments and topics. I love to read books, so I was excited to bring our new “Book Talk,” a segment along with arts and culture editor, Meagan Garcia, and web and copy editor, Maria Guerrero. Of course, as a big fan of sports, I plan to add to our sports section with the inclusion of Formula 1.   

With already two episodes of the podcast done, I cannot wait to see what the rest of the semester brings. I want to thank everyone at The Prospector for their endless support as I continue to find my way as multimedia editor, I am so glad to have you all by my side.   

Katrina Villarreal is the multimedia editor and may be reached at [email protected]