Listen in case of a heartbreak

+%E2%80%9CThinkin+Bout+You%E2%80%9D+by+Frank+Ocean+is+deemed+one+of+the+best+love+songs.+
SalmaPaola Baca
“Thinkin Bout You” by Frank Ocean is deemed one of the best love songs.

Whether you have a special someone or plan on spending Valentine’s Day in your room watching Netflix, there is always a certain song that tells the story of what you are going through. In honor of Valentine’s Day, we are going to cover a list of the best love and heartbreak songs to listen to during the season of love. From Japanese city-pop to alternative R&B, love is a subject that has been discussed across genres all over the world for centuries.  

“Thinkin Bout You” by Frank Ocean 

A classic of the early 2010s, this song is a melodic heartbreak anthem that blends R&B with an atmospheric and soft production. The story behind the song is a long one but is a confession of someone’s wrongdoing behind a relationship. What makes this song perfect for this upcoming season is it has no specific audience or point of view. Originally meant for artist Bridget Kelly, this track became Ocean’s, showing a blend of masculine and feminine touches. 

“Fantasy” by Mariah Carey 

Maybe somewhat of a “been there done that” for some people, but this song describes how a woman fantasizes about a relationship with her crush. Unlike the last entry on this list, “Fantasy” is an up-tempo R&B song, with a beat you can dance to. Sampled from “Genius of Love,” a song from 1981 by the Tom Tom Club’s, this song makes the sampled beat faster and puts it in a different key. The song is an upbeat and lighthearted piece that makes you feel like you are living in a dream. Blending multiple music genres, “Fantasy” is one of the many love song gems of the 1990s. 

“Plastic Love” by Mariya Takeuchi  

A 1984 song that came back in 2017, “Plastic Love” is a song that tells the story of a woman losing the man she truly loves. After being released in Japan to mild success, a remix of the song was uploaded in 2017 and re-uploaded in 2019 to millions of international views. With a funky disco sound accompanied by many classical instruments, “Plastic Love” is a groovy sounding song with a heartbreaking story. 

“Love Galore” by SZA featuring Travis Scott 

In more of a love yourself story than a love story, this song is a mesmerizing retelling of a woman who has learned to move on from her past. With strong vocals, solid rap and a beautiful but somewhat haunting conclusion, it is a wonder that this song did not win the Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration in 2018. This is an urban classic for many, including myself, and is a perfect song for Valentine’s Day if you are trying to get over previous Valentine’s Days.  

“Lovesick Girls” by BLACKPINK 

“Lovesick Girls” is a perfect example of a great post-breakup song. With a dance-pop and EDM sound, this song might give you a reminiscent feel of the early 2010s. Like another song on this list, the tempo and pop elements are enough to mask the sad story being told. While the story is sad, the beat sure is not and it will have you jumping and pounding your fists in the air this Valentine’s Day.  

“Still Into You” by Paramore 

Finally, a song about a love story. The song features blends of alternative rock, new wave and pop rock genres, “Still Into You” is an upbeat track with a memorable rhythm. Based off lead vocalist Hayley Williams’s past relationship with musician Chad Gilbert, this song describes the feeling of love never fading for someone through time. Becoming one of their most popular tracks, this song delivers a sweet and exciting message, the type you would listen to while smiling and staring at the ceiling while thinking of your own love life. 

Elisha Nunez may be reached at [email protected]