Rihanna brings back hits at the Superbowl halftime show

Singer%2C+actress%2C+and+businesswoman+Rihanna+performed+during+the+Super+Bowl+LVII+halftime+show%2C+revealing+her+second+pregnancy+for+the+first+time.+Photo+courtesy+of+FOX+News+
Singer, actress, and businesswoman Rihanna performed during the Super Bowl LVII halftime show, revealing her second pregnancy for the first time. Photo courtesy of FOX News

For the first time in five years, Rihanna has returned to the stage for the Super Bowl LVII halftime show. From her classic 2000s hits to a feature in one of the most popular songs in 2018, Rihanna was sure to not disappoint, even unveiling a new surprise to audiences watching all over the world. As many news outlets busted out with lip-syncing accusations and pregnancy speculations, here is what I thought of the latest half time show. 

Donned in a bright red outfit with a corset and unzipped suit, fans were quick to spot a baby bump underneath the layers of clothing. After giving birth to her son last May, much of the Fenty Beauty founder’s life stayed private, so the unveiling of her second pregnancy came as a surprise to many, if not all Super Bowl watchers. 

Aside from the new baby, fans were also excited to see Rihanna perform some fan favorite songs. Although the performance amounted to 13 minutes, it was filled with classics for 2000s kids, and a great choreography performed by dozens of dancers. 

The show began with Rihanna on the stage in the middle of the field, with her hair up and bangs to the side, gazing out into the audience. It was then, she brought out one of her most well-known songs, “B*tch Better Have My Money” (BBHMM), but Rihanna was sure to get the crowd riled up with her first performance.

The 12-song set list that followed the first track included hits you would hear on Sunny 99.9, or even Non-Stop-Pop FM on Grand Theft Auto V, such as “Work” or “Only Girl (In the World).” Though the songs brought me back to a time when Snapchat filters were all over the place and Vine started to trend, I could not help but notice a little detail about the performance. You might know what I am getting at, but I could have sworn that when Rihanna did not move her mouth, the vocals kept going.  

Regardless, Rihanna made a comeback that is here to stay. This Super Bowl half time show was probably the most entertaining I have seen since Shakira and Jennifer Lopez’s legendary performance. Most of all, since it has been so long since seeing and hearing “RiRi” in front of a live audience, it was a huge relief to see her at the forefront of the public eye once more. Hopefully, we can see a little more of her during this year, but she also deserves to focus on her family a little longer. 

The Super Bowl LVII half time show was one to remember, and it was refreshing to see Rihanna participate in the music industry once more. Maybe we can get another show like this for next year, without some of the previous tricks and SpongeBob fake outs.  

Elisha Nunez may be reached through [email protected]