Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

The Kansas City Chiefs comeback in Super Bowl

Kansas+City+Chiefs+quarterback+Patrick+Mahomes+holds+up+their+Super+Bowl+LVII+trophy+after+their+win+against+the+Philadelphia+Eagles.+Photo+courtesy+of+FOX+Sports+
Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes holds up their Super Bowl LVII trophy after their win against the Philadelphia Eagles. Photo courtesy of FOX Sports

The Kansas City Chiefs won its third Super Bowl against the Philidelphia Eagles Sunday, Feb. 12 at State Farm Stadium in Glendale, AZ. The Chiefs came back from a 10-point deficit at the half but pulled away with an exciting final score of 38-35. 

This was the first Super Bowl featuring both No.1 seeds since the 2018 Super Bowl against the Eagles and the New England Patriots. 

The Chiefs won the coin toss and elected to defer, giving the Eagles the ball to start. After multiple first-down conversions, the Eagles got on the board first with a one-yard rushing touchdown by Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts. The score was 7-0 with 10:09 left in the first quarter. The Chiefs answered quickly with a touchdown pass by quarterback Patrick Mahomes to tight end Travis Kelce.  

The Eagles took a 14-7 lead, but the Chiefs defense was able to force a fumble for a touchdown by linebacker Nick Bolton to tie the game at 14 with 9:39 left in the half. After the fumble, the Eagles regained the lead with another rushing touchdown by Hurts. The Eagles closed the half with a 35-yard field goal by kicker Jake Elliott. 

At the half, the score was 24-14 with the Eagles still holding onto the lead. 

The Chiefs received the ball to start the second half, getting off to a fast start to put points on the board with a touchdown by running back Isiah Pacheco.  

In the Eagles first possession of the half, running back Miles Sanders fumbled the ball at the 24-yard line which was recovered by Bolton for a touchdown. The referees reviewed the play and reversed the call to an incomplete pass. After a delay of game call on the Eagles, Philly converted on a 3rd and 14 with a 17-yard pass to tight end Dallas Goedert. The Eagles were unable to get downfield and extended its lead to 27 with a field goal. 

The Chiefs took its first lead of the game after a touchdown by running back Isiah Pacheco. At the end of the third quarter, the score was 28-27. 

At the start of the fourth, the Chiefs forced the Eagles to punt after a three and out by the defense. The Chiefs were able to get downfield quickly thanks to a 65-yard punt return by wide receiver Kadarius Toney. The Chiefs scored again with a touchdown by wide receiver Skyy Moore making the score 35-27 with 9:22 left in the fourth. 

Philly answered the Chiefs touchdown with a rushing touchdown by Hurts and tied the game after a successful two-point conversion.

With 1:54 left in the fourth the Chiefs received a fresh set of downs after a holding penalty by Eagles cornerback James Bradberry. The Chiefs closed out the game with a 27-yard field goal by kicker Harrison Butker.  

The final score was 38-35, Chiefs. 

Super Bowl LVII was full of history in the making as this was the first Super Bowl that featured two Black quarterbacks in NFL history. Hurts set a Super Bowl record with 70 yards rushing and three rushing touchdowns. Mahomes became the third player to win his second NFL MVP award before the age of 28 and the youngest quarterback to start in three Super Bowls. Mahomes has finally broken the MVP curse, as he was the first player to win a Super Bowl in the same season.  

All statistics courtesy of ESPN, espn.com.

Katrina Villarreal is the multimedia editor and may be reached at [email protected]