The art of Immersive Abstractions at the Rubin Center

The+Immersive+Exhibit+portrays+almost+ten+years+of+work+from+Laura+Tur%C3%B3n+and+shows+abstract+through+her+art.+
Jasmin Campoya
The “Immersive Exhibit” portrays almost ten years of work from Laura Turón and shows abstract through her art.

The designs are exciting and inviting presented in a space that the artist described as coming from “another world.” The artist is Laura Turón, a UTEP alumna who graduated in drawing and graphic design with a minor in painting in 2014. Since then, she has put herself in the El Paso and Ciudad Juárez art scenes with public installations; her latest being “Immersive Abstractions,” which opened at the Rubin Center for The Visual Arts, Jan. 19.  

Growing up surrounded by art and constantly making sketches, Turón now produces her artistry across the city, trying her best to bring her art to the people. From her famous local exhibit, “Paradox Immersive Art,” to her newest “Paradox Immersive Art Bus,” Turón is always sure to make her work interactive. In this newest exhibition, Turón surveys approximately a decade’s worth of her work. 

“I do abstract work and transition from abstract non-objective drawings into immersive art installations where people can walk in and be part of the art,” Turón said. “I try to think of creating spaces where people can be transported into another world and take time to take pictures, selfies and enjoy them.” 

“Immersive Abstractions” is the first of an exhibition series, “Genius Loci,” hosted by the Rubin Center. The series will feature art that is community-based, locally made or has gone through collaborations between the artist and their community.  

Laura Augusta, the curator of the Rubin Center, explained more about the series. 

“With Laura’s work, we’re launching the first in a series of exhibitions funded by the Mellon Foundation in order to support local artists,” Augusta said. “That series is called ‘Genius Loci,’ which is an idea that is prevalent across many artistic communities over the past several hundred years that there is a creative energy in the local. So, there is something about being in El Paso, in Juárez, that generates a particular local creative energy.” 

When you walk into the Rubin Center, the first thing you see is a large, symmetrical design on the wall made by Turón herself. The more you explore, the more you can understand why the exhibition is called “Immersive Abstractions.” Colorful pencil drawings are pinned up on the walls with illusive patterns. Exhibits with mirrors, music and LED lighting welcomes visitors who want to snap pictures.   

“So, one of the things I love about this work is that she takes an abstract vocabulary, that in many contexts can be very alienating for people,” Augusta said. “But in her work, it’s so inviting and so welcoming. Yeah, I think we’ll have a lot of people from (the) community, from our community joining us, and I expect it to feel dynamic and kind of like a party.” 

The first part of the “Genius Loci” series, “Immersive Abstractions” will be held at the Rubin Center until March and is only the beginning of what is coming for UTEP’s art scene. For more information about hours of operation and the exhibit’s availability visit utep.edu/rubin/. 

Elisha Nunez may be reached at [email protected]