Black culture outlined by art at UTEP

The+UTEP+Student+Engagement+%26+Leadership+Center%2C+Multicultural+Greek+Council%2C+and+Black+Student+Union+invited+African+American%2FBlack+identifying+students+to+submit+art+with+the+theme+%E2%80%9CResistance+Through+Black+Joy.%E2%80%9D+Photo+courtesy+of+the+Office+of+Student+Engagement+and+leadership+Center+
The UTEP Student Engagement & Leadership Center, Multicultural Greek Council, and Black Student Union invited African American/Black identifying students to submit art with the theme “Resistance Through Black Joy.” Photo courtesy of the Office of Student Engagement and leadership Center

Black History Month is just around the corner, and UTEP has been showing its support by announcing different events and activities such as “Call for Art,” an event hosted by the UTEP Student Engagement & Leadership Center, the Multicultural Greek Council and Black Student Union to showcase black joy through artwork.  

Any African American or Black identifying artists in the UTEP and El Paso community were welcome to submit their art through Minetracker until Jan. 13. The artwork will be chosen from Jan. 26 to 27 and will be showcased from Feb. 6 to 24 at Union Gallery.  

The theme chosen for this year’s Black History Month is Resistance Through Black Joy. The hosts of said event want to showcase different and unique forms of resistance. This theme is meant to display liberty, unconditional love, kindness towards Black culture and demonstrate resistance against oppression. The UTEP and El Paso community is full of diversity and every social group deserves to be honored.  

For more information visit Minetracker and submit your art through the submission form list 

Angelica Gutierrez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]