Los Angeles Dodgers cut ties with Trevor Bauer

The+Los+Angeles+Dodgers+have+officially+parted+ways+with+pitcher+Trevor+Bauer+after+holding+the+longest+active+player+suspension+for+domestic+violence+allegations.+Photo+courtesy+of+Erik+Drost%2FFlickr+
The Los Angeles Dodgers have officially parted ways with pitcher Trevor Bauer after holding the longest active player suspension for domestic violence allegations. Photo courtesy of Erik Drost/Flickr

The Los Angeles Dodgers have announced they have officially parted ways with pitcher Trevor Bauer after being reinstated. Bauer is a former Cy Young award recipient who signed a three-year $102 million deal with the Dodgers. 

Bauer was suspended in 2021 for 324 games after violating the Major League Baseball’s (MLB) domestic violence policy. Bauer’s suspension was later reduced to 194 Dec. 22, 2022, by an independent arbitrator, Martin Scheinman. According to an Associated Press article, Scheinman affirmed Bauer violated the MLB’s policy and deducted his pay for the first 50 games of the 2023 baseball season, because Bauer was on paid administrative leave. Bauer was designated for assignment meaning they had seven days to find a trade partner for Bauer. The Dodgers pushed its decision to Jan. 6 and released an official statement.  

The Dodgers organization believes that allegations of sexual assault or domestic violence should be thoroughly investigated, with due process given to the accused. From the beginning, we have fully cooperated with Major League Baseball’s investigation and strictly followed the process stipulated under MLB’s Joint Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse Policy. Two extensive reviews of all the available evidence in this case – one by (MLB) Commissioner (Rob) Manfred and another by a neutral arbitrator – concluded that Mr. Bauer’s actions warranted the longest ever active player suspension in our sport for violations of this policy. Now that this process has been completed, and after careful consideration, we have decided that he will no longer be part of our organization.” 

According to ESPN, the Dodgers will be responsible for paying Bauer $22.5 million for his final season with the team. Bauer joined the Dodgers agreeing to a three-year deal which included two opt-outs for the starting pitcher. In his 17 starts with the Dodgers, Bauer recorded an earned run average (ERA) of 2.59. Bauer was immediately removed from the roster once allegations surfaced, he was then replaced by former Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Max Scherzer; who the Dodgers acquired from the Washington Nationals. 

Since the Dodgers released Bauer, he has cleared waivers and is now a free agent. According to an article by ESPN, any team can now sign Bauer for the major league minimum of $720,000. This would offset the $22.5 million that the Dodgers owe the Cy Young Award winner.  

Bauer later released a statement of his own. 

“Following two weeks of conversations around my return to the organization, I sat down with Dodgers leadership in Arizona yesterday who told me that they wanted me to return and pitch for the team this year. While I am disappointed by the organization’s decision today, I appreciate the wealth of support I’ve received from the Dodgers clubhouse. I wish the players all the best and look forward to competing elsewhere.” 

Since being released by the Dodgers on Jan. 6, Bauer has not recently signed any new contracts with other teams in the MLB. 

Katrina Villarreal is the multimedia editor and may be reached at [email protected]