Brazil’s democracy in jeopardy?

After+the+election+of+Luiz+Inacio+Lula+da+Silva+in+Brazil%2C+many+supporters+of+incumbent+Jair+Bolsonaro+stormed+Brazil%E2%80%99s+congress+and+presidential+offices+after+his+rhetoric+that+mirrored+former+U.S+President+Trump%E2%80%99s+Jan.+8.+Photo+by+Carolina+Antunes+
After the election of Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva in Brazil, many supporters of incumbent Jair Bolsonaro stormed Brazil’s congress and presidential offices after his rhetoric that mirrored former U.S President Trump’s Jan. 8. Photo by Carolina Antunes

As the United States passes the two-year anniversary of the Jan. 6 insurrection, another democracy is suffering at the hands of political extremist. Two months ago, Brazil held an election for the presidency where far-right incumbent Jair Bolsonaro lost to the progressive opposition leader Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.  

Leading up to the election, then President Bolsonaro continuedly threatened to not concede if he lost. His rhetoric in the 2020 election, echoed the words of former President Donald Trump, who Bolsonaro admires. Bolsonaro continued to peddle anti-election rhetoric citing that the elections were “stolen,” with no evidence to back up that claim. 

The effects of Trump lead to the infamous invasion of the U.S. Capitol building by far-right election deniers during the certification of the 2020 election. Today, the blueprint left by Trump was followed by followers of Bolsonaro when they stormed Brazil’s congress and presidential offices. Though the election was well over, and Lula was sworn in Jan. 1, many still believe that the election was fault and Bolsonaro was the legitimate president. 

Lula was not in Brazil’s capital, Brasilia, but in Sao Paulo as congress is not in session. Both buildings were mostly empty for that reason as the invaders took over the government buildings. The insurrection is still developing as many details are still unavailable, but videos have surfaced painting the destruction of the capital buildings. Amid the insurrection, Bolsonaro is in Florida where he has been for about a month. 

Emmanuel Rivas Valenzuela is the sports editor and may be reached at [email protected].edu: @rivasemmanuel2 on Instagram