A loss for the world of journalism

Journalist+Barbara+Walters+passed+away+at+the+age+of+93+on+Dec.+30.+As+one+of+the+first+female+journalists%2C+she+has+impacted+many+throughout+her+life.+++

Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

Journalist Barbara Walters passed away at the age of 93 on Dec. 30. As one of the first female journalists, she has impacted many throughout her life.

Itzel Giron, Editor-in-Chief

Barbara Walters died Friday, Dec. 30 at the age of 93. Walters was a trailblazer in the world of journalism as she became a dominant force in a field dominated by men. Working on the “Today” show from 1961-1976, she then moved to ABC where she became the first female anchor of an evening program.  

Her list of accomplishments includes launching “The View,” being the co-host of “20/20” and 12 Emmy awards, 11 of which she won under the ABC network. However, it was her memorable interviews that helped make her a household name across the country. Interviews which included Monica Lewinsky, Fidel Castro, Christopher Reeve, Lucille Ball and countless others. 

Her impact on the field of journalism has paved the way for so many to follow in her footsteps now and in the future.  

Itzel Giron is the Editor-in-Chief and can be reached at [email protected]; @by.itzel.giron on Instagram; @itzel_anahi_16 on Twitter.  

Photo of Itzel Giron
Itzel Giron, Editor-in-chief

Itzel Giron is a senior multimedia journalism and creative writing student at UTEP. She started her journalistic career at The Prospector in the fall of...

• Pope Benedict XVI was the first pope to step down in six centuries and has passed away at the age of 95 on Dec. 31.

Breaking News

The death of a pontiff

• El Paso Mayor Oscar Leeser issues disaster declaration due to the incoming migrants and the forthcoming end to Title 42. Photo courtesy of CBP Photography.

Breaking News

Migrants face a cold crisis at the border

• After doctors reported they were concerned for her health, Queen Elizabeth II has died at Balmoral Sept. 8.

Breaking News

Queen Elizabeth II dies at the age of 96

• Junior forward Bryson Williams fights for loose ball versus UTSA Jan. 15, 2020.

Breaking News

Miners basketball stages historic comeback versus Roadrunners

• Cielo Vista Walmart employees gathered outside the store Thursday, Nov. 14. After opening the store’s doors for customers, they cheered and welcomed people as they entered.

Breaking News

Cielo Vista Walmart reopens, construction for memorial continues

• President Natalicio addresses the media in accordance with the news of her retirement on Tuesday, May 22 at the Presidents Office.

Breaking News

UTEP President speaks about retirement plans and her hopes for UTEP’s future

• Photo courtesy of UTEP Athletics

Showcase

Track and field continue strong start at MLK meet

• The UTEP Student Engagement & Leadership Center, Multicultural Greek Council, and Black Student Union invited African American/Black identifying students to submit art with the theme “Resistance Through Black Joy.” Photo courtesy of the Office of Student Engagement and leadership Center

Black culture outlined by art at UTEP

• The Immersive Exhibit portrays almost ten years of work from Laura Turón and shows abstract through her art.

Arts and culture

The art of Immersive Abstractions at the Rubin Center

• S8 E1: Welcoming the new semester!

Multimedia

S8 E1: Welcoming the new semester!

A loss for the world of journalism