Migrants face a cold crisis at the border

El Paso Mayor Oscar Leeser issues disaster declaration due to the incoming migrants and the forthcoming end to Title 42. Photo courtesy of CBP Photography.

El Paso city officials are stuck scrambling to find space and resources to accommodate the influx of migrants hoping to cross the southern border this winter. El Paso Mayor, Oscar Leeser, declared a state of emergency Sat., Dec. 17 due to the immense amount migrants coming into the city.  

This matter was made a primary concern with the ending of Title 42; which is the restriction of immigration during a public health emergency, coming Wed., Dec. 21. While officials are anticipating a surge in the number of people trying to cross the border as a result of this, the hope is that this declaration will create opportunities for more access and finances to shelters and care. 

The orders will be in place for a week before the city council decides whether to extend them after Sat., Dec. 24. In the meantime, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security is making plans to assist those seeking asylum in El Paso.  

More updates are to come with the forecasted weather to reach below freezing temperatures throughout the coming days. 

Meagan Garcia is the arts & culture editor and may be reached at [email protected].