UTEP graduate is a hero in the making

Nursing+student+David+Moreno+is+ready+to+serve+in+the+workforce+and+pursue+a+career+in+the+medical+field.+
Nursing student David Moreno is ready to serve in the workforce and pursue a career in the medical field.

UTEP nursing student David Moreno is one of the many students graduating during this fall commencement. Moreno is ready to serve in the workforce and pursue a career of serving his community, which he already has extensive experience in doing.  

Moreno is majoring in nursing and minoring in aerospace studies. He was inspired to become a nurse after seeing his mom pursue the selfless career during his childhood. He began pursuing this dream by attending Silva Health Magnet High School where he received his Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification.  

“I can’t believe that I’m at this point now,” Moreno said. “It’s kind of crazy to think how far I’ve come, knowledge and skill wise.” 

The nursing program is one of the most intense and competitive programs one can go through at UTEP. The curriculum includes countless hours of studying pharmaceuticals, interventions, procedures and participating in clinicals to utilize and practice the skills learned in the classroom.  

When Moreno is not tackling the classes in his degree plan, he is an active member of UTEP’s Air Force ROTC detachment 505, originally based out of NMSU, but UTEP has a wing as well.  

“I’m basically contracted to work as a nurse in the Air Force starting in Oct. 2023,” Moreno said. “One of my best friends and mentors essentially told me that I should really consider the military if I was looking for that brother/sisterhood and that desire to serve beyond what a normal nurse would do. It’s a career of servitude. I just wanted something else. I also wanted to do battlefield nursing and more dangerous opportunities.”  

Moreno likes to challenge himself physically and mentally. Aside from studying to be a nurse, being a certified EMT and a member of the Air Force, Moreno is also a volunteer firefighter in his spare time.  

Moreover, Moreno enjoyed living regular college experiences such as studying in the library with his classmates and attending tailgates with his friends.  

“Some of my favorite memories have definitely been going to the tailgates with my best friends,” Moreno said. “Lots of really funny memories I have include being with my nursing group in the library. We basically lived there for two and a half years and lots of funny conversations were had there. I’m definitely going to miss hanging out with my nursing group and suffering and stressing together.” 

The future is bright for Moreno.His future plans include saving lives, serving in the Air Force and learning in critical care settings. His dream is to be in flight nursing in the Air Force, which consists of critical care transport teams. He really wants to be a part of the special operation’s surgical team.  

People who are a part of this elite team are trained in combat operations, techniques and medicine and use their skills to help victims on the battlefield. After accomplishing that, he would like to go back to school and become a CRNA, which is a nurse anesthetist. 

“Take accountability and ownership over your life,” Moreno said. “If you dig yourself into a hole or put yourself where you find yourself in a negative situation and you constantly blame other people for your circumstances then you are putting yourself in a powerless position. By taking ownership and accountability of the situation you’re in and saying ‘okay, I put myself in this hole and I can get myself out’ then you are giving yourself the power to make the changes necessary. That method of thinking completely changed my outlook on life.” 

Alyson Rodriguez is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]; @alyson_rod1127 on Twitter.