Preparing grads for a competitive field

+UTEP+students+can+visit+the+University+Career+Center+to+receive+help+with+resume+reviews%2C+job+search+assistance%2C+interview+coaching%2C+on-campus+and+virtual+mock+interviews%2C+career+closet%2C+and+employer+contacts.+
Fatima Alvarado
UTEP students can visit the University Career Center to receive help with resume reviews, job search assistance, interview coaching, on-campus and virtual mock interviews, career closet, and employer contacts.

Many students have questioned at one point in their lives what will happen after receiving their diploma and walking the stage.  

The University of Texas at El Paso has maintained the goal of helping every student succeed and prepare them for their future.  

Volunteering, studying abroad and internships are just some examples of the opportunities that UTEP offers to students before they graduate to explore their curiosity and passions in fun and rewarding experiences.  

The UTEP Office of Scholarships offers several resources for finding funding to help graduating seniors continue their college education through graduate school. 

ScholarMine is the official portal created for students to apply for different scholarship opportunities available according to their major.  

In addition, clubs and organizations play a key role in making connections with other students, faculty and staff being beneficial for every student.  

“The Student Engagement & Leadership Center oversees 200+ registered student organizations on campus that range from community service to academic(s), fraternities and sororities, recreational clubs and more,” according to UTEP Student Engagement & Leadership Center website.  

The University Career Center assists students during and after their undergraduate years. Some services include résumé reviews, job search assistance, interview coaching, on-campus and virtual mock interviews, career closet and employer contacts.  

Earlier this year, UTEP and Grow with Google partnered with the HSI Career Readiness Program to prepare students to pursue digital-skill-based jobs through career workshops and counseling, programs about design thinking, project management and professional brand building. 

The alumni career services provided by the Career Center feature resources and essential information which can help students throughout the application process for graduate school or a prospective place of employment. In the same way, career fairs are hosted throughout the city and even remotely. School districts, local businesses, state and national organizations and world companies are constantly seeking recent graduates to fit their goals.  The UTEP Alumni Association also provides mentorship to prepare graduating students for a successful transition into their careers.   

“The UTEP Alumni Mentoring Program is designed to provide our students with an opportunity to develop and enhance their awareness of professionalism in the workplace, employer expectations, and behaviors that lead to career success,” according to a statement released by the UTEP Alumni Association.  

Most jobs across the United States require more than a decent GPA to be part of their team. Experience from previous positions is a plus when companies hunt for employees. As a result, references and letters of recommendation are necessary for companies to decide who is the better candidate.   

Eduardo A. Flores is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected];  @eduardo_aa_flores on Instagram; @floreseduardo on Twitter.