Get festive with a good holiday movie

Some+holiday+movies+include+%E2%80%9CHow+the+Grinch+Stole+Christmas%E2%80%9D%2C+%E2%80%9CA+Charlie+Brown+Thanksgiving%E2%80%9D%2C+%E2%80%9CA+Christmas+Carol%E2%80%9D%2C+%E2%80%9CCoco%E2%80%9D%2C+and+%E2%80%9CWish+Dragon.%E2%80%9D+Photo+courtesy+of+Wikipedia+Commons+%0A%0A+
Some holiday movies include “How the Grinch Stole Christmas”, “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving”, “A Christmas Carol”, “Coco”, and “Wish Dragon.” Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons

With the Christmas season approaching we know it is almost the end of the year. A lot of holidays have passed by already, but what should you watch next time these holidays come around?  

Let us begin with Valentine’s Day, the season of love and friendship. There are plenty of romantic comedies, dramas and even musicals that relate to this festivity, but a movie that truly shows its purpose and essence is “Valentine’s Day.” This is a 2010 romantic comedy film directed by Garry Marshall.  While the title says it all, this movie follows multiple love stories that take place on the same day, Feb. 14, how chaotic this celebration can be, and some of the traditions that come with the holiday. 

When it comes to bunnies and eggs hunts, Easter is what immediately comes to mind. If you want to know more about the history of this holiday and have fun while doing so, the movie “Hop,” a 2011 comedy film directed by Tim Hill, does the job.  

The horror movie industry is constantly expanding. Therefore, Halloween is a celebration with countless films to watch. If you like the classics, a 1988 American fantasy horror comedy film directed by Tim Burton, “Beetlejuice” is a great option. If you are looking for something more family friendly, Disney’s “The Nightmare Before Christmas,” a 1993 stop-motion animated movie directed by Henry Selick, is the way to go. Finally, “Halloween” is a movie saga that mainly follows the story of a fictional character called Michael Myers. 

Next on the list we have Día de los Muertos, a Mexican celebration that consists of paying homage to those who are no longer with us. Disney’s “Coco,” directed by Adrian Molina and Lee Unkrich, explains all the traditions that have to do with this festivity. It is a family friendly film, so gather your loved ones and watch it next Nov. 2. 

Thanksgiving is all about being grateful and, of course, a big feast. There are not many movies that truly portray this holiday, but if you are looking for something to pass the time, “A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving” might be the movie to watch. It is a television special based on the popular comic and loved characters “Peanuts,”created by Charles M. Schulz.  

Continuing with holidays from different cultures, Hanukkah is an eight-day Jewish celebration that starts on Dec. 18 and ends Dec. 26. “Eight Crazy Nights” is not a very kid friendly animated movie, but it is a Hanukkah feature comedy. The film was directed by Seth Kearsley, and the main character is portrayed by Adam Sandler. 

Christmas is one of the most celebrated and recognized holidays worldwide, some of the traditions that take place during this festivity are baking cookies, gift exchanges, decorating the Christmas tree and watching Christmas movies. The movie list is very long, and more are added every year. A Christmas classic is “The Grinch,” a Dr. Seuss story directed by Ron Howard. If you are looking for a more romantic movie, “Love Actually” is a highly acclaimed film directed by Richard Curtis. If you want a movie to watch with all your family, “A Christmas Carol” directed by Robert Zemeckis, has a beautiful message. 

At the end of the list, we have Chinese New Year, an annual festival that marks the end of the lunar calendar. It is celebrated in China and Chinese communities all around the world and is the most important holiday in China. “Wish Dragon” directed by Chris Appelhans illustrates some of the Chinese traditions such as the Chinese New Year and leaves a good message.    

Angelica Gutierrez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected].