This holiday season, participate in the ‘Spirit of Giving’

The+Spirit+of+Giving+event+will+be+happening+Dec.+12-15+for+anyone+who+would+like+to+donate+gifts.++
Jasmin Campoya
The Spirit of Giving event will be happening Dec. 12-15 for anyone who would like to donate gifts.

This Christmas season, El Pasoans are invited to open their hearts and participate in the spirit of giving. The El Paso Community Foundation is partnering with several local nonprofits to give back to the community living in El Paso.   

The Spirit of Giving Project was first created in 1988 by an El Paso Community Foundation donor. This will be the 34th year of the holiday season campaign that benefits children, individuals with special needs, survivors of domestic violence, senior citizens and other vulnerable people in the El Paso and Ciudad Juárez community.   

“It was started by an El Paso Community Foundation donor 33 years ago,” said program officer, Stephanie Acosta. “We are so happy to continue this campaign even through the pandemic.”  

People who are interested in participating can do so by visiting the Spirit of Giving website and selecting a tag off the virtual tree. The El Paso Community Foundation will then shop for the gift with your contribution.  

The second option is to select a tag off the virtual tree, buy the gift yourself, and then drop off the donation at the Sunland Park Mall, at the designated space in front of the Greenery Restaurant. There are also live Christmas trees at Sunland Park Mall, Cielo Vista Mall and both Alamo Drafthouse locations for people to choose tags from. The dates to drop off the donation are Dec. 12-15.   

The name of the individual as well as their age, interest, sizes, preferences and gifts are written on the tag. Another option is buying either one gift or both gifts listed on the tag. The last step on the tag is to choose whether to purchase, wrap and deliver the gift yourself or to purchase the gift using a credit card, then the El Paso Community Foundation will buy the gift from a local vendor, wrap and deliver it. A 10 percent surcharge will be added. 

Some of the tags include ten-year-old Ricardo who loves “Thomas and Friends” and would like toys or pajamas from the show.  

Another tag has the name of a little girl named Tinker who is one-year-old and is described as the toughest little girl with the sincerest smile and love for others. She would like building blocks for Christmas and her favorite colors are pink and purple.  

These are just a couple of the many people in need of help this holiday season.   

“Each tag has a story of a person from El Paso or Juarez who is in need,” Acosta said. “It gives a little bit of background on that individual and tells their story of resilience and their wishes. The ages range from babies to older adults who need our help.”  

The El Paso Community Foundation has partnered up with The Great Khalid Foundation, The Hospitals of Providence, Alamo Drafthouse and many others who are supporting this worthy cause.   

“We couldn’t do this project without our community partners that really help to make this possible,” Acosta said. “Without them it wouldn’t be possible to donate over 2,000 gifts each year. You can really make a difference in someone’s life anonymously; this is a great way to connect with a person in need during the holiday season.”  

To learn more about the project visit spiritofgiving.epcf.org/

Alyson Rodriguez is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]; @alyson_rod1127 on Twitter.