UTEP’s availability of gender-neutral restrooms

Universities+in+Texas+have+been+offering+gender-neutral+bathrooms+to+promote+inclusivity+amongst+transgender+and+non-binary+students.+Photo+courtesy+of+Wikipedia+Commons.+
Universities in Texas have been offering gender-neutral bathrooms to promote inclusivity amongst transgender and non-binary students. Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons.

Universities all over Texas have been offering gender-neutral restrooms to promote inclusivity for those who identify as transgender or non-binary.  

The last thing students should worry about when they are in school is where to use the bathroom. There has been debates and doubts about what it means to provide gender neutral restrooms for transgender and non-binary students. 

Although UTEP promotes inclusivity for the LGBTQ+ community, there is still a lack of availability for non-binary individuals and trans people to access gender neutral bathrooms on campus.  

Catie McCory Andalis, UTEP’s former Dean of Students, said the diversity committee has come across this issue before but they are still trying to explore what this means for the campus. 

“We actually have several restrooms throughout the campus that are considered gender-neutral,” said McCory Andalis in a press release. “They may not be labeled as that, but anyone can go into those restrooms.”  

Transgender, gender non-conforming and genderqueer individuals are more likely to experience situations of assault because of how they look. Gender neutral bathrooms provide a safe, private setting for transgender, non-binary, and genderqueer individuals where they do not have to fear being assaulted.  

Sophia Villalobos is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]