Godzilla or King Kong?

A glimpse of Masquerade

Mr.+and+Ms.+Texas+Western%2C+multimedia+journalism+senior+Lorenzo+Leyva+and+kinesiology+senior+Kaitlyn+Bradham%2C+walk+out+to+greet+the+crowd+in+attendance+of+the+homecoming+game+on+Oct.+29.+
Mr. and Ms. Texas Western, multimedia journalism senior Lorenzo Leyva and kinesiology senior Kaitlyn Bradham, walk out to greet the crowd in attendance of the homecoming game on Oct. 29.

Homecoming is an annual tradition that involves uniting distinguished alumni and students on campus to celebrate the university.  

The slate of events kicked off Oct. 21 with the annual homecoming pageant where students got to participate in a competition to be named to this year’s homecoming court. 

The annual homecoming parade took place Oct. 27 in the Union where students, faculty and staff gathered to celebrate this year’s homecoming. This involved appearances from this year’s court, the spirit squad, and even an appearance from President Heather Wilson, Ph.D. 

The UTEP softball team hosted their homecoming “Dingers for Dollars” Home Run Derby Oct. 29 at the Helen of Troy Softball Complex. Seven student athletes, UTEP legend Cami Carrera, Colin Deaver of KTSM and Rachel Phillips of KVIA, all participated in the event where people were asked to pledge to support the number of dingers participants could hit during the competition to raise money for the softball program. 

One of the most anticipated events when it comes to homecoming is the annual football game. This year, the UTEP Miners football team took on Middle Tennessee State University Oct. 29. Unfortunately for attendees, the Miners lost this match-up 13-24. 

This year’s theme for UTEP’s homecoming was masquerade and allowed for people to incorporate it into some of the events that took place. 

Emily Autumn Velasquez is the editor-in-chief and may be reached at [email protected]; @byemilyautumn on Instagram; @emilyautumn20 on Twitter.