MLB World Series: who will come out on top

Courtesy of MLB.

The stage is set for the 2022 Major League Baseball World Series as the Houston Astros will be taking on the Philidelphia Phillies in a best-of-seven series beginning Friday, Oct. 28.  

Making its fifth World Series appearance since 2017, after a controversial win, are the Astros. The Astros were able to sweep the New York Yankees in a 4-0 win in the American League Championship Series (ALCS). Game four was a close one as the Yankees were able to take the lead in the sixth inning, but with an RBI single (runs batted in) by designated hitter Yordan Álvarez and a go ahead single by infielder Alex Bregman the Astros were able to claim the game.  

Going into the World Series, the Astros will be led by players such as pitcher Justin Verlander, second baseman José Altuve, Bregman and Álvarez. The Astros will also have the ALCS MVP rookie shortstop Jeremy Peña. During the ALCS series Peña hit an average of .353, along with two home runs and four RBIs. The Astros have won a total of 106 games in the 2022 season, which is the most in American League division. 

The Phillies will be making its first World Series appearance since 2009. The Phillies are currently the underdogs of the series because the Astros have a much more rounded team, but Philidelphia also has players such as right fielder Bryce Harper. The National League Championship Series (NLCS) against the San Diego Padres went onto game five, it was a close one but with a two-run home run by Harper the Phillies won the NLCS 4-1.  

Philidelphia will be led by players such as left fielder Kyle Schwarber, pitcher Zach Wheeler, first baseman Rhys Hoskins, and NLCS MVP Harper who has a hitting average of .419 and five home runs. Joining the home run club is Schwarber who has a total of 49 home runs this year, 46 during the regular season and three during the playoffs so far. According to ESPN, Philidelphia had the worst regular season record by any team in the playoffs. The Phillies have not faced elimination so far this postseason. Despite the series starting in Houston, the Phillies are currently undefeated at their home stadium. 

The Astros and Phillies will be meeting for the 118th World Series, which is set to begin at Minute Maid Park in Houston, Texas. This is the first time Philidelphia has been in the World Series in 13 years. According to the MLB, the Astros will try to become the first wild card team to run the table in the postseason since the 1976 Cincinnati Reds. Catch game one of the World Series at 6:03 p.m. Friday, Oct. 28 on Fox.  

World Series Schedule 

Game 1: Phillies at Astros, 6:03 p.m., Friday, Oct. 28 (Fox) 

Game 2: Phillies at Astros, 6:03 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 29 (Fox) 

Game 3: Astros at Phillies, 6:03 p.m., Monday, Oct. 31 (Fox) 

Game 4: Astros at Phillies, 6:03 p.m., Tuesday, Nov. 1 (Fox) 

Game 5*: Astros at Phillies, 6:03 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 2 (Fox) 

Game 6*: Phillies at Astros, 6:03 p.m., Friday, Nov. 4 (Fox) 

Game 7*: Phillies at Astros, 6:03 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 5 (Fox) 

*Tentative  

Katrina Villarreal is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]