Homecoming Pep Rally welcomes back distinguished alumni

+The+homecoming+royalty+court%2C+cheer%2C+and+dance+team+bring+the+spirit+at+the+UTEP%E2%80%99s+homecoming+pep+rally.++
Jasmin Campoya
The homecoming royalty court, cheer, and dance team bring the spirit at the UTEP’s homecoming pep rally.

SELC hosted UTEP’s 93rd homecoming pep rally at 11:30 a.m., Oct. 27 on the second floor of the Union East. The event raised miner spirit for the upcoming homecoming football game against Middle Tennessee State University.  

The Union was filled with UTEP students, band, UTEP spirit crew, and alumni celebrating the legacy of the university. Anthony Vincent, coordinator of Fraternity and Sorority life was the master of ceremonies for the event and got everyone excited for the upcoming homecoming festivities. Vincent thanked the audience for being there and building new memories and being a part of history.  

“I came here when the university was still Texas Western College,” said Bill Sanders a 1971 graduate. “The name changed right before I graduated. I used to play baseball here when Andy Cohen was the head coach. We come back every year during homecoming, last year was my golden anniversary. It’s always great to comeback because it’s changed so much.” 

President Heather Wilson then addressed the audience and encouraged everyone to attend the upcoming homecoming game to cheer on the UTEP football team. She also commented on how exciting last week’s game was against Florida Atlantic University.  

“I feel fantastic,” Wilson said. “It’s great to be out of the office and with the students. This is a wonderful week for our alumni to come back and to honor our exceptional alumni who have done wonderful things with their lives.” 

After President Wilson, UTEP head football Coach Dana Dimel took the stage and introduced some football players for their academic accomplishments. He also encouraged students to not only attend Saturday’s game but the events of the other UTEP teams playing this weekend.  

A highlight of the event was the introduction of this year’s golden nugget and distinguished alumni recipients. The distinguished alumni recipients included William Franklin “Willie” Quinn who graduated in 1954 with a degree in civil engineering,1970 graduate Keelung Hong, Ph.D. with a degree in chemistry, and Lillian Williams Crouch class of 1972 with a degree in M.Ed. in elementary education supervision.  

“A lot of things have changed since I first came to UTEP,” Crouch said. “The campus has gotten more beautiful, and the student population has increased. I am delighted to be here in this position at this time at the university. Words cannot express how I feel. It’s a wonderful and humbling experience. This is the highest honor you can receive from the university, and I am very proud and honored to have received this award.” 

UTEP spirit crew and band got the crowd on their feet during their exhilarating performance. The winners of the student organization Olympics were then announced, along with the Provost Office announcing the winners of the office decorating contest.  

To end the festivities, the winners of the homecoming pageant were announced and introduced to the campus community. Mr. and Ms. UTEP are Stacey Rosa Emma Huhn and Carlos Mora, Mr. and Ms. Texas Western are Kaitlyn Brandham and Lorenzo Leyv, Mr. and Ms. College of Mines were Adina Hernandez and Fernando Martinez. The homecoming court will make an appearance at Saturday’s homecoming game during halftime.  

Alyson Rodriguez is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]; @alyson_rod1127 on Twitter.