UTEP stays on track with its annual haunted campus tour

UTEP+Alumni+association+held+a+Haunted+Campus+tour+Oct.+21+at+Leech+Grove.+The+tours+started+at+6p.m.+and+ran+till+11p.m.++
Alberto Silva Fernandez
UTEP Alumni association held a Haunted Campus tour Oct. 21 at Leech Grove. The tours started at 6p.m. and ran till 11p.m.

UTEP holds haunted campus tours every year during Halloween season. This year was no exception, Oct. 21 at Leech Grove, people had the opportunity to attend this event. The tours were hosted by the Student Alumni Association and the tickets were $6 online until Oct. 19, and $10 at the door. 

Some families decided to join the UTEP community to walk around campus and hear some ghost’ stories.  

Built in 1913, UTEP has experienced many stories from faculty and students, leaving a trace of their remains. There are many spooky stories as campus seems to be infested with ghosts. One of the most popular stories is about a little girl named Isabelle, who likes to play around Centennial Museum. People have said that they have heard her laughing every now and then. 

As you may know, a lot of UTEP buildings are very old, but Cotton Memorial has some of the scariest stories, because it was built above a Native American’s cemetery. People are superstitious and the history that this building has does not help ease their mind.  

Another story is about a man roaming the halls of Cotton Memorial, who has been spotted by some students. Reports claim students have seen him standing at the windows of the building overlooking campus.  

The Prospector’s staff has been invested in the haunting of UTEP ever since the start of the publication. In the ‘90s five reporters visited the Old Main building at night and locked themselves in. They left a cassette running and explored the building. Legend has it that they heard footsteps, but there was no one else around. Finally, when the reporters listened to the cassette, the voice of a woman could be heard even though it was faint and unclear.  

These stories and many more were shared, but if you want to know more, you can listen to the SAA podcast on YouTube, UTEP 13TH ANNUAL HAUNTED CAMPUS.  

For future events you may volunteer at future Haunted Campus Tours as tour guide or as a monster. 

The attendees were able to carve and paint pumpkins, play mystery box and hang out with their family and friends after the tour ended.  

Angelica Gutierrez is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]