El Paso ghost tours hunt for ghouls

The El Paso Zoo will be holding “Boo at the Zoo” Oct. 22-23 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. with Trick-or-Treating stations for kids under 12. Photo courtesy of El Paso Zoo.

El Paso has become the home to some of the most haunted, spooky, and paranormal places in the country. Places like Concordia Cemetery, the Plaza Theatre, El Paso High School, and many other historic buildings are filled with distinct haunted tales.  

This October, residents will be able to explore some of the most haunted sides of El Paso through tours and events hosted by local organizations.  

El Paso Community College (EPCC) is bringing back its annual ghost tour tradition at the Rio Grande Campus called “Ghost Tours: The Return” from 5:30 p.m. to 11 p.m., Oct. 28.  

Refreshments will be sold by EPCC clubs and organizations. The starting point will be located at 906 El Paso St. Space is limited to 15 people per tour. Reservations are available by calling 915-831-4127 or visiting the EPCC Valle Verde campus life room B101 at 919 Hunter Dr.  

Similarly, El Paso Zoo will host its annual “Boo at the Zoo” event from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Oct. 22-23. There will be 12 candy stations for guests under 12 years old to go trick-or-treating. All activities are included as part of the $12 adult, $7.50 child, or $9.00 senior regular zoo admission ticket.  

The Paso Del Norte Paranormal Society will also be hosting a “Nerd Night: Paranormal Investigation” from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Oct. 27 to explore the science behind paranormal investigation. The event will start with a brief history of the WigWam and the El Paso area, as well as a walking tour highlighting gun fighters and ghosts and ending the night with some paranormal investigation.  

Attendance for the event is limited and tickets start at $25. Online tickets can be purchased at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/nerd-night-paranormal-investigation-tickets-431287010057?aff=ALLEVENTS.  

The Concordia Heritage Association also started to host a series of events that will end Oct. 30. “Cemetery Ghost Tour (Lost El Paso Paranormal)” is scheduled to take place Oct. 22, followed by “October Haunting of Concordia Tour” Oct. 29, and the “Devil’s Night Drive-Thru w/ Ghosts 915” Oct. 30. Proceeds go to help fund preservation efforts at Concordia Cemetery, 3700 Yandell Drive. Tickets are available at https://www.eventbrite.com/o/concordia-heritage-assn-46509351343.  

Beth El Bible Church, located at 6440 Montana Ave., has also prepared a Pumpkin Patch event to allow families to enjoy time together and celebrate the Halloween season. The Pumpkin Patch is now open to the public through Oct. 31. The regular schedule is Tuesday through Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Sundays from noon to 5 p.m. No service is offered on Mondays.  

In the same way, Fountains at Farah will host a Halloween-themed Art and Farmers Market event from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Oct. 28. Shoppers are encouraged to bring their kids in costumes.  

Additionally, the El Paso Streetcar is having “Frightful Fridays with Ghosts 915,” where community members can enjoy a historically haunted ghost tour for free. Registration for the event is now open at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/streetcar-tour-with-ghosts915-tickets-423731952677?aff=ebdsoporgprofile 

These are just some of the many events taking place around El Paso to celebrate the fall season. 

Eduardo A. Flores is a contributor and may be reached at [email protected]; @eduardo_aa_flores on Instagram; @floreseduardo on Twitter.