Changes to consider for the upcoming Fantasy Football month

Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons.

Editor’s note: This is the second of a three-part series on Fantasy Football. 

We are now entering week six of the National Football League (NFL) season, it has gone by so fast! Here is your monthly update on which players to consider for your fantasy league; some are new and some are ones that you have already seen. 

Quarterbacks 

Making a comeback in the quarterback roster is Buffalo Bills quarterback Josh Allen. Allen is currently rostered at 99.9 percent and is ranked number one in the quarterback position. Allen has boomed for two out of the five games and has had zero busts so far. Allen is currently averaging 29.3 points per week as he continues to prove to be a top option for the quarterback position. 

I know Patrick Mahomes is great at what he does and is still a good option to have for quarterback, but I am going to switch it up and give you two new options for quarterback.  

The first one is Baltimore Ravens quarterback Lamar Jackson. Jackson has had an amazing season so far and is even in the talks for Most Valuable Player Award.  Jackson is averaging 26 points per week, is rostered at 99.8 percent and is tied for first in touchdowns with 11. Jackson is also ranked number two in the quarterback position, there is no doubt that Jackson will continue to dominate, so he is a good player to keep in mind for quarterback. 

This one may come in as a shock but hear me out, Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts. The Eagles are currently the only undefeated team in the NFL. Hurts is rostered at 99.2 percent and is ranked third at the quarterback position. Hurts has a 67-completion percentage and 280 passing yards per game. Hurts has boomed for one out of two games. Hurts is currently averaging 25.8 points and has shown he is an ideal pick for quarterback. 

Running Backs 

New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley has put up some big numbers in the past couple weeks for the Giants. Barkley has recorded 31 carries and has over 100 yards rushing. Barkley is currently averaging 21.1 points per week, has a roster percentage of 99.8 and is ranked number three in the running back position. Barkley is currently second in rushing yards with 533, which puts him in the ideal position as a running back starter. 

Next on the list is Cleveland Browns running back Nick Chubb.  Chubb is first in rushing yards with 593. Chubb is currently ranked second in running backs and has boomed for two out of the five games played. Chubb has amassed 134 yards in 17 carries along with two touchdowns. Chubb currently has a roster percentage of 99.7 and is averaging 22.2 pointsper week, making him a great pick for running back. 

Let’s welcome back Los Angeles Chargers running back Austin Ekeler. During the first three weeks of the NFL season, Ekeler’s run game was put to a stop, only averaging 27 yards. Ekeler has proved that he is a dual-threat in receptions and rushing yards; he has passed LaDainian Tomlinson with at least one receiving and rushing touchdowns in Chargers history.  Ekeler has a roster percentage of 99.9 and is currently averaging 22.7 points per week. Ekeler may have struggled in the beginning of the season, but he is currently ranked first in running back. 

Wide Receivers  

Making a comeback to the wide receiver list is Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Cooper Kupp. Kupp is number one in wide receivers and has a roster percentage of 99.9. Kupp currently set a career high in catches (14) and has recorded double-digit catches for 100-plus yards in three of the four games. Kupp is first in receptions with 42 and is currently averaging 26.4 points per week. Kupp continues to show that he is an ideal top pick for the wide receiver position. 

Bills wide receiver Stefon Diggs is currently ranked number two in the wide receiver position and is rostered with a percentage of 99.9. Diggs is currently third in receptions with 39 and fourth in receiving yards with 508. Diggs recently became the first Bills player to ever achieve at least 500 yards and five scores through five games. Diggs is currently averaging 24 points per week and will continue to put on a show at wide receiver. 

Lastly is Minnesota Vikings wide receiver Justin Jefferson. Jefferson is currently second in receiving yards with 40 and first in receiving yards with 547. Jefferson is rostered at 99.9 percent and is averaging 23.2 points per game. Jefferson has recorded 150 yards from scrimmage for the third time this season, catching 12-of-13 passes for 154 yards. Jefferson is every defense’s nightmare as he continues to have big numbers in each game. There is no stopping Jefferson which makes him an ideal pick for wide receiver.

Tight Ends 

Returning for the tight ends is Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce. Kelce is ranked number one at the tight end position and has a roster percentage of 99.9. Kelce has boomed for four out five games and currently has zero busts. Kelce is currently averaging 22.4 points per game and continues to be Patrick Mahomes favorite target. The has been a few times in which he has not shown superstar status, but he is able to get back into it making him an excellent tight end option. 

Next, we have Ravens tight end Mark Andrews. Andrews is ranked number two among tight ends, with a roster percentage of 99.9. Andrews has surpassed Mike Ditka for the sixth-most touchdowns (33) by a tight end through five seasons in NFL history. Andrews is currently averaging 18.2 points per game in fantasy. Although Andrews has busted 1 out of five games, he has boomed for three out of five games. Andrews continues to be Jackson’s favorite targets which will make him great at the tight end position. 

Rounding out the tight ends is Detroit Lions tight end T.J. Hockenson. Hockenson has had a few rough games, but he had eight of 12 targets, 179 yards and two touchdowns. With Lions wide receiver Amon-Ra St. Brown out with an ankle injury, Hockenson has recorded various season highs. Hockenson is ranked number three among tight ends, has a roster percentage of 96.8 and is averaging 13.1 points per game in fantasy. Hockenson is a good tight end option to keep in mind if he continues to play the way he has. 

Flex 

All the players above, except for the quarterbacks, are great options for the flex position but I will give you some other options to consider. First is San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Deebo Samuel. Samuel is averaging 15 points per game and has a roster percentage of 99.8. Another good flex option is Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Marquise Brown, who is ranked six in wide receivers and is averaging 19.5 points per game. Lions running back Jamaal Williams is one to keep in mind as he is averaging 15.4 points. 

Defense/Special Teams 

For the defense/special teams there are various selections that are ideal for the defense/special teams selection. Ranking in at number one is the 49ers defense/special teams. The 49ers is currently averaging 13 points per game, with a roster percentage of 96.5. Another great option is the the Bills defense/special teams who is currently ranked number two in defense/special teams. The Bills have been averaging 12.8 points and has a roster percentage of 99.5. Lastly is the Dallas Cowboys defense/special teams who is currently ranked at number three. The Cowboys are averaging 11.2 points per game an have a roster percentage of 88.2.

Kickers 

Las Vegas Raiders kicker Daniel Carlson is averaging 12.4 points per game and is tied first in field goal percentage with 100. Carlson is first in points with 53 and has yet to miss a field goal; his last miss was in week nine of the 2021 NFL season. Carlson is 12-for-12 on field-goal attempts in the first four games of the season. Carlson is someone you want as your fantasy kicker.  

Next up is Ravens kicker Justin Tucker averaging 10.4 points per game and is tied for first in field goal percentage with 100 alongside Carlson. Tucker recorded his first multi-field goal of the season and made a field goal game of 50 or more yards. Tucker is five for five in field goals and 14-for-15 in extra points. Tucker continues to be an ideal kicker. 

Closing out the kickers is Cincinnati Bengals kicker Evan McPherson. McPherson is averaging 9.2 points per game and is six for seven on field goal tries that are 40 yards or more throughout the four games. McPherson is tied second for the longest field goal (59). McPherson continues to put up points for fantasy teams, so having him as a part of your team will guarantee big points. 

Happy drafting! 

All stats for the players courtesy of ESPN Sports, espn.com 

Katrina Villarreal is a staff reporter and may be reached at [email protected]