Are you going to be surfing the web or the waves this summer?

Apple welcomes its new product generation

Photo courtesy of Apple.

Apple has introduced its latest product generation consisting of four phones, three new Apple Watch models, and an update to its popular AirPods product line.  

iPhone 14 pre-order sales began Sept. 9 to help customers secure their orders for early delivery or pick up at the nearest Apple store. The new iPhone 14, iPhone 14 Pro, and Pro Max are now available for purchase worldwide, excluding the iPhone 14 Plus, which will be available starting Oct. 7.  

Some of the new upgrades in the iPhone 14 include Crash Detection, which can detect a severe car crash, call 911 and notify the user’s emergency contacts. Also, the new Emergency SOS via satellite provides users access to emergency services when no signal is available.  

The new iPhone 14 includes rounded corner displays with a 6.1-inch screen and the iPhone 14 Plus with a larger 6.7-inch screen. The new Dynamic Island is an exclusive feature to the iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max that displays system alerts for incoming phone calls and Face ID authentication prompts, and it will also work with Live Activities in third-party apps.  

Also, the iPhone 14 pro is the only model equipped with an A16 Bionic chip, the most powerful chipset, providing the longest battery life ever, according to Apple. The rest of the iPhone 14 models are equipped with the A15 Bionic chip. However, Apple stated that all iPhone 14 models have all-day battery life.  

The new iPhone 14 series comes in new colors: purple, midnight, starlight, red, and the new blue. Meanwhile, the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max offer a new variety of colors from the previous generation: space black, silver, gold, and deep purple.  

This year, Apple kept the same storage options as the previous generation with 128GB, 256GB, 512GB, and 1TB capacities.  

The base price of iPhone 14 and 14 Plus will start at $799 and $899; meanwhile, the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max start at $999 and $1099 but depending on storage, the price can reach up to $1,499.   

Apple has also revealed the new Apple Watch Series 8, Apple Watch Ultra, and the new redesigned Apple Watch SE that are now available for purchase.  

All new Apple Watches promise a core experience, including activity tracking, high and low heart rate notifications, Emergency SOS, Crash Detection, and tracking a woman’s cycle history, which can send notifications for any irregularities consisting of family planning or potential health concerns.  

Apple unveiled the new Apple Watch SE with a starting price of $249. The Apple Watch SE introduces a redesigned back case that matches the three classic case finishes: midnight, starlight, and silver. Meanwhile, the size of the display of the previous model remains the same at 40mm or 44mm.  

The Apple Watch Series 8 comes in two finishes: aluminum and stainless steel, and each of them has different color options. The aluminum Series 8 will be available in four colors, including, midnight, starlight, silver, and red, while the stainless steel finish is available in silver, gold, and graphite.  

Finally, the new Apple Watch Ultra is a version dedicated to athletes or those who aspire to push beyond their limits.  

“Inspired by explorers and athletes from around the world, we created an entirely new category of Apple Watch designed for new and extreme environments — it’s the most rugged and capable Apple Watch yet,” said Jeff Williams, Apple’s chief operating officer in a press conference hosted by Apple.  

Apple Watch Ultra has three built-in microphones to significantly improve sound quality in voice calls during any weather conditions. The official release date of the Apple Watch Ultra in the U.S. was Sept. 23 and the price starts at $799.  

Similarly, the new second generation of AirPods Pro unlocks a new audio performance experience, including major upgrades to Active Noise Cancellation and Transparency mode, while also delivering a Spatial Audio that is more immersive.  

There are 1.5 hours of extra listening time with the AirPods Pro compared to the first generation, for a total of up to six hours with Active Noise Cancellation.  

Besides a new charging case and an additional ear tip size, users will be able to control media playback and volume directly from the stem. The AirPods Pro is now available to order for $249. 

Eduardo A. Flores is a contributor and can be reached at [email protected]; @eduardo_aa_flores on Instagram; @floreseduardo on Twitter.