Soccer avoids losses in home stretch

Forward+Taya+Lopez+aims+to+kick+the+ball+while+being+surrounded+by+two+defenders.+
Forward Taya Lopez aims to kick the ball while being surrounded by two defenders.

The UTEP women’s soccer team finished out the past four home games with a draw versus LA Tech. Prior to that match up, the Miners faced the University of Incarnate Word (UIW), the University of Nevada (Nevada) and Florida International University (FIU). 

UIW @ UTEP-Sept. 8 

Coming off a 3-1 win against Wyoming, the Miners looked to follow up a great outing against the UIW Cardinals. In the 13th minute of the match, freshman forward Mina Rodriguez noted the first points of the half thanks to an assist from junior forward Tessa Carlin. The rest of the first half was silent. It was not until a Rodriguez corner kick in the 76th minute that allowed Carlin to score a second goal for the Miners. This goal was made possible thanks in part to sophomore forward Justice Tillotson passing the ball to Carlin on the left side of the goal.  The Miners ended up winning the match 2-0.

Nevada @ UTEP-Sept. 11 

After the decisive win against UIW, the Miners faced a 1-3-1 Nevada team coming off a 0-4 loss versus New Mexico State. UTEP struggled to score in its last out-of-conference game, leaving the match 0-0 for the Miners’ first draw of the season. Rodriguez led the Miners’ share of shots, contributing 3 of the team’s 11 shots in this game. Meanwhile, senior goalkeeper Mariah Scott provided two saves in this game for her third shutout of the season.

FIU @ UTEP-Sept. 15 

To start off conference play, UTEP (3-4-1) faced the FIU Panthers (2-3-0) in a Thursday night battle. Neither team managed to score a single point resulting in the Miners’ second draw of the year. In the 33rd minute of the match, junior midfielder Vanessa Cabello attempted a corner kick, which placed the ball at the head of Carlin.The only thing between the ball and the net was the body of FIU goalkeeper Ithaisa Vinoly. Scott had another great game at goalkeeper, saving nine of 16 shots. This is Scott’s third straight shutout. The Miners sit at 3-4-2 coming into Sunday’s match up versus LA Tech.

LA Tech @ UTEP-Sept. 18 

The Miners now face LA Tech (3-5-1) who are coming off a 1-0 win over Western Kentucky University (WKU). The start of this match was relatively quiet. It was not until the 42nd minute that LA Tech pushed forward after a goal from freshman forward Flavie Dube. That goal put LA Tech up 1-0 to finish the first half. In the 54th minute, Rodriguez and Carlin connected for a goal bringing the score to 1-1. Eight minutes later, in the 62nd minute, the Miners attacked once again. This time, Rodriguez assists sophomore forward Taya Lopez in a looping score over sophomore goalkeeper Sydnee Korchak. Late in the second half, LA Tech sophomore defender Carmen Suarez nails a goal off a Dube assist. This brought the score to 2-2 in the 84th minute. The Miners were unable to respond leaving the match on a third straight draw. 

Statistics provided by UTEP Athletics, 

Emmanuel Rivas Valenzuela is the sports editor and can be reached at [email protected]: @rivasemmanuel2 on Instagram