Perks of working on campus

There are so many students at the university, but I feel as if many incoming students do not understand the perks of working on campus… I certainly did not. I have said it before, but I will say it again for the sake of this being the career issue, joining The Prospector was the best thing to ever happen to me.  

Before joining the student publication, I did not even consider working on campus. I went three years not understanding how an on-campus job could benefit me in the long run. My favorite part has been seeing how flexible university jobs are for students, from constantly working around their class schedules to understanding we have commitments outside of school. The flexibility is a major part of why campus jobs are so convenient for students juggling full schedules. 

Another perk of having an on-campus job is being able to network with people who are experiencing the exact same things as you – mid-terms, homework, busy schedules, etcetera. Finding people who understand and relate to you is hard enough, but in college? For so long, it felt like I would never really find people who understood me so wholeheartedly and completely.

Working on campus allowed me to find individuals I could build real relationships with, rather than semester-long ones that only last as long as a course does. Choosing a job that goes into my field of work directly has allowed me to also build connections and find opportunities outside of UTEP that will be beneficial for me long term.  

In getting a campus job, not only have I found peers, but mentors who are more lenient and understanding than I will probably ever find again. If you must come in late to go meet up with a professor or a study group, no one will be more understanding than a boss that also works at the university and understands the unexpected surprises that come with being a student. 

Not to mention there are so many different job options to choose from on campus, whether it be a job in the food industry, working at an office, as a teaching assistant, or a work study. The number of opportunities on campus available for students is endless and because there are so many options, a lot of jobs will be quick to hire you. 

One of the other things that is so unique about working on campus is that for a lot of people, this can be their first job. But not only do they have plenty of jobs to choose from, they have plenty of resources to help you prepare for getting a job at the university. For example, the Career Center will help you create a resume if you do not have one and can even guide you in picking the right options based on your career and experience.  

Overall, a campus job is so convenient for students as there are so many options, most are paid positions, and they help give you the experience you need for when you leave the university. 

Emily Autumn Velasquez is the editor-in-chief and may be reached at [email protected]; @byemilyautumn on Twitter; @emilyautumn20 on Twitter.