Connecting with employers at the annual 2022 Career EXPO

The Career Expo will take place Sept. 22 and 23 at the Don Haskins Center and will host about 140 companies. Students will be provided with opportunities to network with future employers. The Prospector archive.

Th e Career Center at UTEP continues guiding students to options that best fit their individual career needs and aspirations during and after their undergraduate years.

UTEP’s largest career fair, “Career EXPO,” is a two-day annual event hosted by the University Career Center that welcomes employers across the United States to hire UTEP students for professional, internship, and part-time employment opportunities.

This fall semester, the event will be held from 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Sept. 22-23 at the Don Haskins Center located at 151 Glory Rd.

“This year, we will host the largest number of companies for over 20 years,” said Betsy Castro-Duarte, director of the Career Center. “This is exciting because that means more companies around the United States are looking at UTEP as a diverse talent pool from them.”

Some participating employers include local, state, and national companies and organizations such as Amazon, Dell Technologies, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Walmart Stores, Inc., Tesla, Inc., Google, El Paso Children’s Hospital, GECU, and the El Paso Police Department.

A smaller virtual version of Career EXPO will also be available to students and UTEP alumni from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Oct. 7th via Job Mine. Students can expect to network with different and some of the same companies that participate in-person.

Information sessions about the virtual Career EXPO will take place Sept. 19-23, where students can schedule a 10-minute appointment with representatives of ExxonMobil, Texas Instruments, Inc., Air Force Civilian Service, Amazon and many more.

Each year, Career EXPO draws more than 3,000 students from the nine main academic colleges (Busi-ness Administration, Education, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Science, and Health Science), the School of Nursing, the School of Pharmacy, and the Graduate School. Therefore, all students are eligible to attend.

Students are encouraged to update their résumés and LinkedIn profiles, create a list of target companies, conduct company research, prepare insightful questions, practice a 30-second elevator pitch, and wear professional business attire.

In partnership with JCPenney, the University Career Center held a “Suit-Up” event at Cielo Vista Mall to help students purchase professional attire at 50 percent off and prepare them for upcoming job interviews. The offer included suits, dresses, sports coats, dress pants, shoes, and accessories.

“Students still have the opportunity to shop online with discounts until Sept. 24,” according to a statement released by the University Career Center via social media.

Some of the selected items include suit jackets, skirts, dresses, ties, dress shirts, and fashion jewelry. To receive the special discount text UTEPSUITUP to 67292.

In addition, the University Career Center has partnered with local human resources professionals to help students with resumes review during the week of Sept. 19-22.

“We want to invite every single student, whether you are a freshman or graduating student to attend the EXPO, because everyone has the opportunity to go learn, explore, and make connections to employment opportunities,” Castro said.

For information about the event or to access the complete list of employers, visit or go to Room 103 of the Union Building West on the UTEP campus.

Eduardo A. Flores is a contributor and can be reached at [email protected]; @eduardo_aa_flores on Instagram; @floreseduardo on Twitter.