UTEP welcomes students with events at ‘Miner Welcome Week’

Annabella Mireles
Students in the crowd cheer as Paydirt Pete and cheerleaders dance on stage at Texas Western Gold Rush Aug. 243.

A tradition that has been around for a couple of years, Miner Welcome Week embraces the start of the upcoming semester, allowing for students to take part in multiple events starting Aug. 18. From socials to a job fair, this welcoming custom allows for everyone to come together.

To begin the welcome-back tradition, UTEP kicked off this semester’s new student move-in day Aug. 18, which is when all new students will move into their dorms. The following three days brought back returning students to move in, accompanied by a board game night, craft night and time to locate their classes on campus.

The Texas Western Gold Rush was set to begin at 7 p.m. Aug. 22. This traditional evening was all about hyping students up for the upcoming fall semester. Unfortunately, due to inclement weather the event was postponed and took place 7 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 23 at Centennial Plaza instead.

The Get Involved & Wellbeing Fair is at 10 a.m. Aug. 24-25. This event will host a variety of organizations, programs, and opportunities for Miners to become more involved on campus. A large-scale tabling fair spanning two days informs students who want to be a part of UTEP’s campus life among the multitude of options.

To kick off the fall football season this semester, the Miners will face University of North Texas at the “915 Night” game at 7 p.m. Aug. 27 at Sun Bowl Stadium.

Next on the event calendar is a job fair. The “Work @ UTEP Job Fair” will take place at Leech Grove 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Aug. 31 and Sept. 1. For information on the fair visit utep.edu/student-affairs/careers/

The headlining event will be Minerpalooza, a UTEP custom that has made headlines for decades. Once again, the festival will be hosted outside of the Sun Bowl on Glory Road Sept. 2. Known for being UTEP’s biggest party of the year, Minerpalooza is a back-to-school event filled with food trucks, activities and live performances. The winning bands from UTEP’s Battle of the Bands, along with other local music acts, will perform at this decades-old festival. Headlining will be Tequila Rock Revolution.

UTEP is sure to welcome back all students with exciting fairs, activities, and fun opportunities to get involved. For information, visit minetracker.utep.edu.